Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Feeling like a failure because my son stopped potty training

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:24 PM
  • 11 Replies

For a week we really had it down, now I seem to be missing his rhythms, he goes in is diaper before having to tell me and when I try to sit him down every 20 minutes he refuses to sit. He is 2.5 and I read so many posts about how kids are already potty trained by now. My oldest took a while too but I had more help back then.

by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

it may take him a while. continue to be consistent with him. it will all work out.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Thanks, It means a lot because I am really stressing out about it.

Quoting lyrick24:

it may take him a while. continue to be consistent with him. it will all work out.

leahbeah143
by Leah on May. 1, 2013 at 3:20 PM

just remind yourself that every kid is different! have you tried bribery? I know a lot of people are against it, but it's worked for everybody I know! Keep being consistent, keep asking him if he needs to go, he will get it eventually!

matreshka
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Oh yeah, I've tried letting play with my phone on the potty chocolate, everything. He seems to hold it in to go in his diaper and even out of his diaper he holds it in. He's had a few accidents and felt awful about it but I tried to tell him it was perfectly fine.

Quoting leahbeah143:

just remind yourself that every kid is different! have you tried bribery? I know a lot of people are against it, but it's worked for everybody I know! Keep being consistent, keep asking him if he needs to go, he will get it eventually!

leahbeah143
by Leah on May. 1, 2013 at 3:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Maybe he's just not ready yet? maybe give it a few weeks off and try again. you're not a failure at all!

Quoting matreshka:

Oh yeah, I've tried letting play with my phone on the potty chocolate, everything. He seems to hold it in to go in his diaper and even out of his diaper he holds it in. He's had a few accidents and felt awful about it but I tried to tell him it was perfectly fine.

Quoting leahbeah143:

matreshka
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:56 PM

That could be. I can stress myself out about anything lol. Thanks!

Quoting leahbeah143:

Maybe he's just not ready yet? maybe give it a few weeks off and try again. you're not a failure at all!

Quoting matreshka:

Quoting leahbeah143:

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on May. 1, 2013 at 7:33 PM
I started potty training both my boys at 3, my youngest was 3 1/2 because thats when we moved to OR and I didnt want to do it with the move. I always heard boys potty trained later than girls and I knew my boys werent read at 2. Dont let other posts here get you down, every kid is different. With both my boys, once I did start potty training, they caught on FAST!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happydays62
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Some times that happens  to boys .  They will get the hang - up /on . By the time he is 5-years -old  he should be well potty -trained. Just be patient with him.  He will be ready when he is ready to  do so .. Good Luck:)

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:42 PM

We sure cannot control their potty training!  When he is ready,he will do fine.  Not your fault Mama.  My 6yo DS is on the Autism Spectrum-he has been potty trained for awhile but p'd on the floor twice today,why why why!LOL.  Back to the drawing board tom orrow!

nai_ryoku
by on May. 2, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Each child is different. Mine will be 3 in June and he still won't come to me to tell me he wants to sit on his potty unless he wants a treat or his sippy cup. He's my 3rd so I've learned you've got to have patience and chill over the setbacks. He's having a setback. If he's fighting you, maybe you need to take "vacation" from potty training. I'd take a break for about a week and we'd hit it again. W/ all my kids, they just eventually reached a point where something hits in their brains and they just get it. I believe there's way too much pressure to get kids potty trained at younger and younger ages and it's stupid. Let them go at their own pace as their all different individuals and if we get frustrated, they see that and they get frustrated and it just makes them want to stop cooperating. You are not alone in this battle and don't judge others by the ages they got potty trained. I have a friend who's boy was 1 1/2 when he got it and I ain't gonna lie, it ate at me but that's her son and not mine and he's gonna get it when he's ready and so will yours. I admit I'm not working quite as hard on this one as I'm on my cocktail of drugs and frankly, I'm tired so we're going w/ the flow and doing the best we can. My recommendations is if he's really gonna fight you, give him a short break from it then give him his incentives for going. Connor is into super heros big time so I think I'm gonna buy him a pack of super hero underwear and show him he'll get to wear them when he graduates to pull ups and keeps them dry. He gets a tootsie roll for peeing and two for pooping and that makes him more willing to sit and try. You have a lot to deal w/ and I'm not gonna lie, you're an inspiration to me and you deserve something not crazy in your life, so go about it in a zen fashion. It will get done! Lol Keep me updated. I'll be looking forward to hearing about his progress :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)