Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

So I decided to extend the olive branch to my sister...

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:58 PM
  • 5 Replies

By asking her if I could come visit her after her second child is born.  Idk if she'll say yes but whatever response I get it's now on her.  If she says no then I guess I just have to accept the fact that she doesn't really want to have a relationship with me and move on.  I just hate when people tell you that they are sorry and want to try to rebuild a relationship but don't really mean it.  Afterall, actions do speak louder than words.  But at least I know that I tried to make things work and the rest is up to her.  Thanks ladies for all of your responses to my other post about the situation, it really helped especially knowing that I am not alone feeling this way.  I guess sometimes it is hard for people in our families to have close relationships with us bc they just don't know how to respond and how to treat someone with a mental illness.  What most people don't realize is that we are people too and that not every action or emotion of ours is tied into the symptoms of our illnesses.  I get tired of getting asked if I'm feeling well or taking my meds simply bc something someone said or did bothered me, but I guess that is a totally different post altogether, lol.

by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
matreshka
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I think you did a really brave thing and you should be proud of yourself. We can't change how other people are we can only do the best we can.

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:08 PM

i hope everything works out for you.

dizzy77702
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Thanks ladies. I figure this way I've done all I can and if it doesn't work out then I guess it wasn't meant to. Unfortunately you can't pick your family but I am glad I have the support of the ladies in this group, a few close friends and my husband and his family.
dizzy77702
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 6:25 PM
She called me back soon after she saw the FB message I sent her and she's on board for me visiting with the kids. Now I just have to find a way to save and make it happen.

Quoting matreshka:

I think you did a really brave thing and you should be proud of yourself. We can't change how other people are we can only do the best we can.

leahbeah143
by Leah on May. 2, 2013 at 11:57 PM

good for you for taking that step! I really hope that you can make it work!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)