Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Me

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 6:06 PM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am not sure how to start. 

This is my first post here. My name is Lucy and I am a 49 yr old wife and mom to 3 ( plus one son in law). I have been on Effexor for 9 years due to anxiety/ depression. I am questioning now if I should talk to my dr. About changing. Can your body just get immune to a drug?

bottom line is we have had a rough couple of years with lost jobs, lost family and friends, etc.  What I can't seem to do is get all the parts of me to come together. I know rationally there re so many people worse off than me. We are healthy, fed, clothed, and love each other. I do know this but my mind starts telling me that things are never going to be normal again ( my husband is employed again after 10 months less money but he has a job) . I find myself wanting to sleep except at night. I cook and eat tremendous meals because it is something I can do and I am good at it.  I am distancing myself from my husband but I really don't know why. Have you ever just told yourself he really doesn't care how or what ou are feeling? I am in that stage because he sees he positives whereas I see the negatives. 

I guess I just hate the fact that I can't be thankful and trusting when I know I should be. Thanks for listening, Lucy 

puppy

by on May. 8, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
gonecrazi
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Hello and welcome...It may be time to visit with your doctor and tell him everything

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 7:01 PM

i took effexor for a couple of years and then it stopped working for me and they had to put me on something else. i would talk to my dr if i were you and ask him if he could try something else for you.

payzlee
by on May. 8, 2013 at 7:30 PM
I have had to switch antidepresants a few times because they stoped working. Switching could be the answer.
ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on May. 8, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Hi Lucy, I'm ashleigh, I'm 41, married 14 years and we have 2 boys, ages 14 and 8. Oh, welcome to the group! i do believe that ur bodies can become innune to meds that we take for years, I've had to switch many times since I was diagnosed with depression at the age of 16. You should tak to your dr and possibly switch meds. i DO know what it's like to think hubby doesn't "get it" and also to pull away from hubby. Are you in therapy too, or just on meds?

snookyfritz
by on May. 10, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I had a very similar year to yours.  It has been a very difficult time for me.  I know it's hard to see the positives and not dwell on the negatives.  But it's like a switch has been flipped and you see life from a completely different angle.

Talk therapy seems to be helping me.  In addition to medication.  It is slowly getting better for me, I'm sure it will for you too.

leahbeah143
by Leah on May. 10, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I would definitely talk to your doctor ~ they might be able to find something else that will help you.

When I'm going through a really down time, my mind tells me the same thing ~ I'll never be normal again, but I really try to tell my mind to shut up when it's saying that because I know it's the depression talking.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN