Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Can't get excited about anything

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 6:58 PM
  • 20 Replies

So I've been pretty much Depressed for quite awhile now and nothing seems to work. I can't seem to get enjoyment out of anything and have even tried the ECT aka Electric Shock Treatment way and it seemed to make things more clearer for me but as hard as I try I can't get out of this depressed state. 

My Doctor aka Psychiatrist has offered to do the ECT thing again but I'm so afraid to in some ways as the headaches that I got afterward were awful. Anyway when it comes to not getting excited about things I can give some examples such as for example, I used to get Excited about Airplanes and going to the Airport and traveling and with this awful Illness which Depression is I can't even get enjoyment or excitment out of those things anymore among many other things. It's like I feel so indifferent to things. So for some of you that have Depression just to let you know your not alone. I definetly know how it is and it is awful. Please share your thoughts if you have any, Although I know I'm not the only one out there who is experiencing Depression and Anxiety issues it's very disturbing to me that I am and I want to beable to enjoy the things I used to.

Some questions I have for you girls out there aresimple frown

1. Is it even possible for me to get my interest back in the things I used to enjoy and feel some excitment all over again if it's something i actually want bad enough to have?

2. If one loses interest in things they once enjoyed is that joy gone for ever or like I said in my first question can it be revived with time

Also if any of you have experienced this kinda thing with your depression, your stories would help me to understand better

by on May. 9, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dizzy77702
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I feel the same way. I just wrote a post on those lines. I know you shouldn't give up hope but I've pretty much given up on the chances of things getting better for me after dealing with this for 23 yrs.
Mistycat95
by on May. 9, 2013 at 7:08 PM

It's nice to know I'm not alone and Hugs to youhugsI'm sorry your going through the same thing. It's awful isn't it :(  It's almost like we feel so blah inside that everything seems so unreal at times. I would like to be your online friend if you don't mind cause I can be a support for you on this.

Quoting dizzy77702:

I feel the same way. I just wrote a post on those lines. I know you shouldn't give up hope but I've pretty much given up on the chances of things getting better for me after dealing with this for 23 yrs.

gonecrazi
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this

It will get better it takes time, therapy, and the right cocktail of meds. You can be happy again.

Mistycat95
by on May. 9, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I hope so hun I really hope so cause I can't remember the last time something really brought me real feeling joy :( Ty for the encouragement though, I will try to remember that and keep my head up and think positive I know the mind is a powerful thing and I'm keeping hope

Quoting gonecrazi:

It will get better it takes time, therapy, and the right cocktail of meds. You can be happy again.

Mistycat95
by on May. 9, 2013 at 7:57 PM

BUMP!

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:23 PM
2 moms liked this

i know what you mean. there is very little i can get excited about and it feels like i dont get as excited as i used to over the things i get a little rise out of. i like to travel and camp out and enjoy it but i havent felt excitement in a long time. i just deal with it and try to go out and do things that will just make me happy. if you can find things that you just enjoy then go with that. hopefully it wont last forever.

Mistycat95
by on May. 9, 2013 at 8:24 PM

hugs

Quoting lyrick24:

i know what you mean. there is very little i can get excited about and it feels like i dont get as excited as i used to over the things i get a little rise out of. i like to travel and camp out and enjoy it but i havent felt excitement in a long time. i just deal with it and try to go out and do things that will just make me happy. if you can find things that you just enjoy then go with that. hopefully it wont last forever.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 9, 2013 at 9:23 PM
I've been dealing with depression and bipolar for about 18 yrs now and as the years go by its only gotten worse. It started getting really bad about 8 years ago. And especially the past 3 years I have really spiraled out of control. Now I'm barley functioning. And I don't know how much longer I can keep holding on.
Mistycat95
by on May. 10, 2013 at 2:57 AM

If you send me a Friend Request I will accept it. I also have depression and Bipolar and know what your going through. Keep strong for the kids if you can and know your not alone. Hugs

Quoting Anonymous:

I've been dealing with depression and bipolar for about 18 yrs now and as the years go by its only gotten worse. It started getting really bad about 8 years ago. And especially the past 3 years I have really spiraled out of control. Now I'm barley functioning. And I don't know how much longer I can keep holding on.

Mistycat95
by on May. 10, 2013 at 3:16 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN