Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do antidepressants work?

Posted by on May. 10, 2013 at 9:29 PM
  • 16 Replies
Hi I'm Jeanine and I'm new to this group. I've been having depression probably since my pregnancy but it has always been up and down. It really has been hard bc I feel like I'm so happy being a mom but everything else is a mess. Its hard to think that being a mom doesnt always fix everything else in my life. I just feel like I want to be better and am doing all I can but nothing ever changes. My ex has really been the biggest reason for my depression and I'm having trouble fixing my life. I always feel like I have no energy, no matter how long I sleep. I also am always on the go with school, work and a 14 month old so I'm sure it adds to it. When the baby is asleep its like I have no motivation to do anything I just lay in bed. I lost a lot of friends after having the baby and the ones I do have are not the greatest. I'm just having a tough time and I go to therapy but haven't wanted to go on medicine. Do antidepressants make things better? I honestly feel like they're just going to make me live in a cloud and not solve any of the real problems in my life. What are the side effects? Any help with how to feel better about things?
by on May. 10, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandaboo99
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

All anti-depressants are all different. But yes they do work, you just have to find the right one for YOU. That being said, maybe you need to make yourself get up and out and once you are, you might feel better. It doesnt always work but it does sometimes :)

coolmomma1968
by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:38 PM
2 moms liked this
well i take prozac and that works for me but what you REALLY need to do is tell your dr what you have posted and see what he thinks and what antidepressants are right for you.
coolmomma1968
by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:39 PM
i love trying to help you women out its so rewarding for me.
mamanjulie
by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:41 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes they work. They didn't solve my problems, but they helped me see what the problems were and with the depression gone, I was able to DO something about solving them!
Izsarejman
by Kim on May. 10, 2013 at 11:59 PM
2 moms liked this

They do for me, then they poop out or leave me with pretty bad anhedonia, then I am left more depressed and withdrawing as I taper myself from them. I've been on Paxil, Prozac, Effexor, Zoloft, Lexapro, Wellbutrin at some point since first being diagnosed 16 years ago.. I'm prescribed Cymbalta but am so reluctant to take it that I haven't tried it. I haven't been n any antidepressants in 9 months and I haven't had any depressive episodes, I do have anxiety and am on Xanax XR which has been the only thing to work but I fear that too will stop working. 

But that is my own individual experience and they just might work for you. 

RighteousLove
by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:57 AM

anti depressants don't work in my opinion. positive people and an open mind will get you where you need to be.  make necessary changes in your life. and do things you enjoy, like going outdoors.

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2013 at 7:05 AM
2 moms liked this

antidepressants do help if you find the right one. sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get the one for you. in my case when i first started with depression the first one worked good for me without any side effects. my son was recently diagnosed with depression and put on celexa and he was afraid to take it because if the side effects. i finally talked him into it and he doesnt have any side effects and he feels alot better. i would say just give them a try and see what you think. sometimes they will make you a little nauseas when you first take them but that usually goes away.

deltathree
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 9:39 AM
2 moms liked this

There are always side effects.  Sometimes the meds work, sometimes not.  I think it depends if the dep. is chemical or situational.  GL & hugs.

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Have tried many anti depressants over 8yrs,never had one that made me feel in a fog.  Some side effects have been nausea and low sexual desire.

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 1:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Bravo re:the situational vs chemical depression.  If you have a serotonin deficiency(chronic)you can be on anti-depressants forever,like a diabetic on Insulin.  You cannot tell a diabetic get up and make insulin!!!  Telling a person w/depression to "just get up" does no good and only harm.  I have wanted to get up but could not.  ((HUGS))

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)