Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

May be a stupid question

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM
  • 34 Replies

I am worried that I will never be off meds.  I worry that if I do go off meds that I will spiral down.  I still have depression symptoms, but my therapist says she hopes I'll be off my Celexa someday.  Is that just encouraging talk from her?  Has anyone successfully gone off all meds?  I don't want to be like this forever. Is there any hope to being med free and therapist free?

by on May. 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BeAmour
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this
If you have a struggle with depression and it can't seem to be controlled without meds, probably not.
snookyfritz
by on May. 11, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Thanks, I think I've suffered for years, I just didn't want to admit it. 

deltathree
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Sorry u r going through all this hun.  There's always hope.  I do hope one day you can be free of all this.  But, remember, sometimes esp. if it's chemical dep. you will need the meds.  It's no different than needing meds for anything physical like heart probs, diabetes,etc.  Huge hugs.

snookyfritz
by on May. 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Thanks deltathree, I used to think I was so tough and a survivor, it doesn't feel like that so much anymore.  Again, thanks for the input

gonecrazi
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2013 at 10:15 AM
2 moms liked this

I have come to realize that I have an illness that requires medication. I learned how to live with my illness. I have bipolarII and I am on meds and stable for almost 2 years.

deltathree
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

You're tougher than you think/feel you are.  Hang in there. 

Quoting snookyfritz:

Thanks deltathree, I used to think I was so tough and a survivor, it doesn't feel like that so much anymore.  Again, thanks for the input

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2013 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

it depends on how many episodes of depression you have had. they say that if you go through three episodes of depression then you will likely have to take meds all your life. how many episodes have you had. theres always hope of coming off the meds and being therapist free. maybe you can manage your with coping skills some day. i am one of those that will be on it for the rest of my life. i have bipolar type 2.

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I was on anti-depressants for 8yrs and accepting of the fact that I would need them forever.  I am just by chance off them now,doing OK,and still on Xanax for panic attacks.  If I had found the right anti-depressant,I'd be on it now and forever,and will take one in the future if needed.  GL

matreshka
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2013 at 2:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Some people can be. I tried and it has never worked. Being on meds and going to therapy is not a weakness. It is taking care of yourself.

mandaboo99
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Firstly, I love your profile pic, it gave me a good laugh and I really needed that!!

Second, I think anything is possible :) I know people who have been med free and done just fine. you just need to be ready :) good luck xo ,message if you want to chat

Quoting snookyfritz:

I am worried that I will never be off meds.  I worry that if I do go off meds that I will spiral down.  I still have depression symptoms, but my therapist says she hopes I'll be off my Celexa someday.  Is that just encouraging talk from her?  Has anyone successfully gone off all meds?  I don't want to be like this forever. Is there any hope to being med free and therapist free?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN