Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Coping Without Meds?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

I was on Prozac for over 14 years. it was the answer to my depression, anxiety/panic attacks and agoraphobia. After being on it along with Ativan and Xanax, the Prozac stopped working for me. I have been off of all meds for about 3 months now. I feel anxious at times but I haven't had any full blown panic attacks, thankfully. I do get scared and worry about my panic attacks coming back. Is it possible to be able to cope with anxiety without going back on medication again? Is anyone else trying to cope without meds? How do you feel and how do you cope? Any advice? thanks

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Strickland1
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:36 AM
I've been on welbutrin since 2010 and was put on ativan a couple months ago. I noticed a difference so I guess it was working. Then one day I decided I didn't need it anymore. Id go thru phases of it and end up back on it. But this time is different. I told my self its time to fave those dark corners of my mind that's hindering me so I can move forward in my life. My depression stemmed from how my mom raised me siblings and I which led to my brothers suicide in 2010. I had a lot of guilt about him and resentment towards her and it fed the depression. I'm at the point where I can accept what happened. So I am now not on any medication what so ever and have not have any episode in the two months so far. The key and deciding factor is SUPPORT. You need to have someone that you can talk to. At first I had my therapist then I tried talking to my husband and its the best feeling ever. I think the support system is key for "recovery":You have to believe in yourself and cope with your triggers in order for it to succeed. Any questions or support just write me:)
flowrsgalore
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:23 AM

No meds here.  I just started going to a counselor.  I honestly don't know if it's going to work?  He wants me to read books too. I have not done that yet. I think I'm pretty low but I do have some good days. And it's been a really long time since I've had a real panic attack.  I hopeful that with the right counselor & personal change I can never have to take drugs.

Linagma03
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:28 AM

My anxiety attacks began again after being gone for several years. I went back into therapy just before they returned. My medication dosage had to be reduced as I was on an over the maximum dosage of lomotregine. I am now down to the highest recommended dosage. Because of the changes and some added stresses the anxiety came back, she said that she could try letting me go up just a small amount on the med if I wanted. We talked about some of the methods of stopping the anxiety before it gets a hold and begins that vicious cycle that then leads to the panic attacks.

As soon as you feel the anxiety begin even if you are not completely sure it is anxiety stop what you are doing, tighten all the muscles in your body, then begin counting usually by the time you reach 10 or 15 you can relax and it has stopped the attack. If it is still there try doing it again, usually it takes no more than 3 times. Each time you can stop that anxiety from gaining a hold it makes it easier and I found the anxiety attacks get farther apart. If I am driving and it happens I first try turning the radio up real loud and sing with the radio, if that doesn't work then I pull over and do the muscle/counting excercise. My therapist has told me that when you actively work to stop the attack you actually do because your brain is thinking about other things and not using that time and space to allow the anxiety to keep going. It takes some time for the attacks to stop creeping up but they have eventually gone away for me. I try really hard to stop the process with out meds if I can but I will go back on meds if I need to because I never want to get back to where I was. I had panic attacks so bad that it developed into agoraphobia too and I never want to be stuck in my house again like that. I hope that what I have tried might work for you.

The other thing that has helped me was that for about a week my dh seemed intent on pissing me off at every turn and during that time I never had an anxiety attack. I did however have visions of hitting him with a very large very heavy object. LOL 

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I stopped meds in december. I have good days and bad days, but I'm getting through. I still have anxiety, but haven't had any full blown panic attacks. It's not easy but I survive.

lyrick24
by Group Admin on Jun. 9, 2013 at 7:00 PM

i was taken off klonopin and put on neurontin for my anxiety and it didnt work. i had to go back on klonopin but a smaller dose.  my anxiety was kicking my butt.

sprinkles9112
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I was on Prozac for 10 years, then Welbutrin for 7. Xanax for the past two years. In January, my insurance ran out- therefore the meds went away. Thursday this past week I officially met with my new (and amazing) psychiatrist and he is slowly starting me on Zoloft.

The time between losing the meds and seeing him was rough. What helped me through was talking to a therapist. Sure, no insurance means it's a little pricey, but it has been worth it. 

Good luck, I know it can be hard. 

lancet98
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Some people need to stay on medication.  

Others don't need to stay on medication.  

You were taking ativan, xanax and prozac.   

Prozac stopped working?    How did you know it stopped working?

Why did you go off both the anxiety meds as well?   And why didn't you just get a prescription for a different antidepressant, from your doctor?

Just extremely puzzled and confused - not looking for an argument.

BEXi
by Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I have been off meds for awhile now- cant remember when I stopped them, but it may have been sometime last year.

I am training my brain to think happier thoughts. I cant really explain how I do it, I just do.. I do very well off meds, about  85% of the time :P

lucy164
by Peggy on Jun. 10, 2013 at 6:56 AM

i would hate to be without klonopin.  i take .5 mg once a day.  if you can get off anxiety meds, good for you.

nai_ryoku
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 7:40 AM

It can be done. You have to have coping skills that work for you that's for sure. I don't think I'll ever be able to be off meds but I'm ok w/ that. Whatever keeps me sane! Lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)