Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeling resentment towards my preschooler **ETA

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:43 PM
  • 8 Replies
I do all I can to make her happy. I buy the nasty kid yogurt she likes. I take her to the park. I buy her special after school snacks (although she gets snack at school). But allall I get is attitude. When she can't get her way, she gets really mean and nasty. And she hurts my feelings. I try to be patient with her...I try the techniques our family counselor suggests, but it's getting us nowhere. Part of me wants to keep her in pre k until closing time so I have limited interaction with her. I feel terrible, but I just can't deal with her emotional abuse and nastiness. I want my happy little girl back.

ETA: 9 months ago, We moved from NY to CA to be closer to my family. She did well when we stayed with my sis and her kids (for 5 months until we found a place of our own), but soon after we moved on our own, she's showed signs of GAD (and was diagnosed in March), and she seems quite angry at me. She started therapy in February. I have been struggling with depression and I think it's affecting her.
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Monkeymama930
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I feel that way sometimes to with my son. I try to make him happy then he slaps hits kicks or bites me. It's like why! I feel like he hates me.

Hope it gets better! Keep seeing that consoler maybe that will help. Good luck.
lyrick24
by Group Admin on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this

maybe you give her so much that she doesnt appreciate things. start limiting her on the things you give her and teach her that she has to earn them.

KyahZia
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:15 AM
Has something happened or changed for her. It mite be the result of something. Can you sit down and have a talk with her? Is she maybe copying behaviour from another child?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 10, 2013 at 3:37 AM
Sometimes I feel the same way over my toddler son. I just have to remind myself that he is acting in a way that is normal for his age. Parenthood is hard. Does she have a reason for the attitude change?
leahbeah143
by Leah on Jun. 10, 2013 at 9:50 AM

does the family counselor have any suggestion about why she's acting like that?

lyrick24
by Group Admin on Jun. 11, 2013 at 7:46 AM

you have to take care of yourself too. if you are struggling with depression you need to see a dr. im so glad you have her in therapy. you need to get yourself into therapy also. i hope everything works out for the both of you.

SisterRags
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:14 AM

It's great that you have your little girl in therapy. I'm really concerned that you feel such resentment toward your pre-schooler. Children DO and WILL hurt your feelings. You have to accept that. You have to be someone your little girl feels totally safe to express her feelings to. If your counselor isn't helping with the issue, get another counselor.

rhodaj
by rho on Jun. 11, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I know its hard with a preschooler especially when you aready have something wrong. As a mom and graandma I completely understand. But don't give into her.  She knows that you will and she is at that age that she is going to see how far she can get by with.  

Also try contacting NAMI they have an excellant program for families that have famiy members with some type of diagnoses such as GAD.  It is called Familly to Familly.

I have my training book here someplace that I can look for it and give you some ideas.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)