Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Pregnancy and meds

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:41 PM
  • 3 Replies
Hello, just found out I'm pregnant (3 weeks) and I'm taking Citalopram. I'm confused on what to do - basically, the desicion is up to me to take the mneds or not. They are helping me and I'm scared to discountinue them becausethings can turn ugly real fast but I don't want to risk baby's health in any way.... Have any of you had experience? Advise? Thanks!
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:34 PM

did your dr tell you it was up to you whether you wanted to take it or not. i would talk to him and ask him f or the safest med to take when you are pregnant. there are some people who do stay on antidepressants while they are pregnant.

bundlesmommy
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I have talked to 3 different Drs (my counselor, my PC, and one Phychology Dr in very good hospital) even before I was pregnant, trying to figure it out before it happens, and basically yes, they all told me it's my decision. Because the meds are not labeled either safe or unsafe.

TattooedMom104
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Congratulations on your pregnancy. There are safer medications to take while you're pregnant but they may not be as effective. It all comes down to rather or not the benefits outway the risks. Whatever you do DONT stop taking your meds abruptly. Taper off if you decide to stop them. I am going through the same thing at the moment and having a very difficult time without my meds so I got back on them. Good luck with everything :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN