Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anxiety and Debt

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 3 Replies

One of the most disconcerting aspects of my life is the ever-mounting debt we seem to find ourselves in. Debt, in itself, has been a debilitating fear of mine since I was a very young age. As I grew up, I became more and more aware of my mother's addiction of spending money---it was her source of comfort and she squandered more money than she made on senseless things. Not alcohol or drugs, mind you, but unnecessary items.

Today I was on the phone with my insurance company for longer than I would like to recall trying to decipher all their logic in what they paid for, how they paid for it, how much they paid for, and what all my outstanding bills cost them. I was told that they have already paid everything my policy covers and the rest is my responsibility. My general physician, who is affiliated with the hospital, is owed just shy of $100. By far, that sum is much more agreeable than the $500 I thought I owed due to lab work fees that the insurance stated they covered. They cover general CBC blood work, but not the "extras" that were ordered---vitamin balances, thyroid check, lipid and other panels, et cetera. Even as relief washed over me that it was significantly less than what I thought I owed, the gloom still hung around me like a shroud. It was still, what I consider, a substantial amount. Nothing in comparison to the two-thousand I owe to the hospital, but still substantial.

My husband and I have to go to the local IRS office tomorrow. The dread throbbing through my body is palpable. I have an irrational fear of winding up in jail, and I've had this fear ever since moving here because I know I lie in a den of backstabbing wolves. We owe $500 for this past tax season---I'm not sure how exactly that happened. We just weren't having enough pulled out of our checks. Anyway, we're hoping to make some kind of minimal payment plan that won't break us too badly... As it is, even without another bill coming out of our pockets, we're barely scraping by.

I work with the public despite my phobias. I'm a cashier and only too open to ridicule on a daily basis that wears me down emotionally as well as physically. The past two weeks my anxiety has reared up with a vengeance. The store business has been booming since children and high school students have been released for their summer vacation and being blocked in by so many people in my little, narrow space by carts and throngs of strangers has put me on edge. I nearly had a complete breakdown last week, but I managed to keep it together for the sake of my job... and in that vein, our livelihood.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
lucy164
by Peggy on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:05 AM

i'm sorry to hear about your financial difficulties.  i would be very anxious too.  could your md prescribe some anti-anxiety meds?  maybe go to a different one for this.

lyrick24
by Group Admin on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:54 AM

i agree that you should set up a payment plan for your debts. they should let you do that for your dr bills also. you dont have to pay that much just something towards them. i hope your anxiety decreases and you are able to keep your job. try doing things to calm yourself. meditation and such.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I know all about the debt anxiety! Starting with my divorce, I had gotten myself into massive amounts of credit card debt. Sometimes buying crap I didn't need, but also having to use it for gas, groceries, and other necessities. I was paying three credit cards, furniture payments, truck payment ~ it was out of control I could barely pay minimums on everything and it was killing me. I cried every month when I had to try to figure out how to make it work, but also thankful that I could at least make the minimums. In the last couple years I have finally gotten rid of a money sucking pos boyfriend and gotten my shit together. I am down to one credit card and the truck payment.

From my experience, as long as you are straight forward with the medical bill people, they will totally work with you and set up a payment plan. As for the IRS, get that paid off asap because I *think* they charge interest on payment plans. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)