Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Anyone else have an irrational fear or phobia? How do you deal with it?

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:57 PM
  • 13 Replies

My title says it all....how do you deal with horrible anxiety? 

by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jstockwell126
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Absolutely! I have this weird phobia of allergic reactions. I am a psychology major so I know I am being irrational, but that doesn't stop my fear! Recently, I tried the behaviorist method of slowly introducing myself to the fear. I was afraid of having an anaphylaxis reaction to peanut butter so I slowly introduced myself to it even though I was scared. Eventually, I just decided I was being ridiculous and ate it anyway. Of course, I had a complete anxiety attack but other than that I was fine :) good luck!

Monkeymama930
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Zombies! Omg I hate zombies! I studied up on the history, the black magic behind zombies and viral possibilities. And even made friends with a man who is a live off the land nut he can shoot fish hut make his own ammo tack and teaches hand to hand combat lessons. So in the event of a zombie apocalypse or nuclear (which he says is much more likely) he is going to come and get us and take us to his bug out facility and he will help my son and I live comfortably.

Ok it's a little nuts but it helps me sleep at night.
reindeer-c
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:17 AM

Not exercising. I am afraid I will gain a ton of weight if I eat normal and do not exercise. I cannot handle the anxiety so I exercise like a crazy woman. I could take the Xanax I have but it makes me so sleepy. I am a SAHM so I need to be awake and alert.

SAMI_JO
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:30 AM

This!!!

Quoting Monkeymama930:

Zombies! Omg I hate zombies! I studied up on the history, the black magic behind zombies and viral possibilities. And even made friends with a man who is a live off the land nut he can shoot fish hut make his own ammo tack and teaches hand to hand combat lessons. So in the event of a zombie apocalypse or nuclear (which he says is much more likely) he is going to come and get us and take us to his bug out facility and he will help my son and I live comfortably.

Ok it's a little nuts but it helps me sleep at night.

lucy164
by Peggy on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:14 AM

claustrophobia

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:09 AM

i have an overwhelming fear of flying on planes. i have done it before but my pulse rate was sky high from the anxiety. now i have bad dreams about being on an airplane. i dont plan to fly anywhere ever.

nai_ryoku
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:09 AM

My irrational fear was only during my pregnancies. I believed there was someone who was out there watching and waiting to come cut out my baby. One time I went to the mailbox and I get very large in the belly when pregnant and a neighbor was like "You're about to pop aren't ya???" and I was like "Nope. Got 8 more weeks to go." Hurried home and called my husband at work bawling saying I told him when I'm due and now he knows when to come get the baby and all he could say was "Stop it. Just stop it." But that's about it for me.

LeahBennelong
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I have water phobia i can't swim because of this, i tried my best to overcome this but i can't do anything. I don't know why i have this or how to handle this. Do you have some suggestion for me to overcome on this water phobia. 

aged care homes gold coast

kaiti_G
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM
I have an extreme phobia of elevators everytime i get on one i start to sweat and get panicky. If it takes a min for the door to open i start to have a panic attack and get sick. I decided not to get on any for yrs and eventually had to get on one again. I ended up getting stuck on one and decided to not go on one unless its an emergency.
seaturtle1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:41 PM
I have a fear of flying. I have never done it except a little plane when I was tinny. I will never fly because I have this irrational fear. About anxiety I have horrible anxiety that comes from an illness I have. I wish I could tell you what to do but I am in a big angry panic episode right now. It has been high for a while. Wish I could give you some advice. Huggs to you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)