Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Off Prozac, Should I Go Back On?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

I was on the generic form of prozac for years. I don't know if it was just me or the Prozac but I started to feel like the the Prozac wasn't working for me so my doctor tried zoloft, Paxil, and viibryd, but none worked. After several months, he suggested I go back on Prozac again to give it another try. I filled my Prozac  prescription this time with the name brand version instead of the generic. I have been off of all medication now for a few months. I have the Prozac sitting there but I haven't taken it yet. Do you think the second time around Prozac will work for me? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
seaturtle1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Did the prozac make you feel worse? or give you awful side affects?
seaturtle1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:34 PM
How long did you try it for? Did it work at first then fizzel out?
xoDJ
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I'm on the generic version of prozac as well and I hate taking it because it doesn't work for me. It gives me awful dreams, makes me feel sick as can be (which sucks cause morning sickness is going to kick in soon) so I stopped taking it. The brand name might work for you, since it's not the cheap kind and is probably stronger than the generic. I'd give it another try but if it does the same thing then I don't know what to tell you :(

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:41 PM

some people do say that getting the brand instead of the generic has worked for them. i would try it. good luck.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I don't think it would hurt to try it, but once you start don't stop unless you talk to your doc and give it a good month before you start seeing any results.

mmr520
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Prozac worked for me for a couple years then it didn't. We tried a few different drugs, nothing seemed right, then I just stopped taking medication. After a while I needed it again and Prozac worked again. Since my first son was born I've been on Zoloft and I love it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I was on generic Prozac for over 14 years. I was taking up to 4 per day-20mg each-...3 per day for 3 weeks out of the month and 4 per day for 7 days when I was PMS-ING. I don't know why I started to feel it wasn't working. I remember waking up one morning and feeling very panicky and saying to myself, "oh no, what the heck is going on?" I was feeling very panicky, sometimes all day long with panic attacks coming often. It was terrifying to feel that way again. I have been seeing the same psychiatrist the whole time. Prozac was a God send for me. I'm confused. I don't know if I should go back on it or not. My doctor says he's tried most of the ssri's for me. prior to being put on Prozac, I have taken Serzone, Zoloft, Paxil, and Viibryd. No success with them.

Quoting seaturtle1:

How long did you try it for? Did it work at first then fizzel out?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I was so depressed, anxious, and panic attack stricken that I honestly can't say if the Prozac made me feel worse at first when I first started taking it. All I can remember is that after about 6 weeks or so...I think it took that long?...it's been so long I can't remember how long it took exactly for the pros to start working...I'm thinking I started feeling a little better after about a month. But i was also taking Ativan too when I had panic attacks, which was SEVERAL times a day. I was taking ativan like candy just to function. Prozac did help me with my depression, anxiety, anxious thoughts, my panic attacks and agoraphobia too. The side effects I had was diarrhea, feeling tired, lose of appetite...not too bad though, which was kind of good for me because I needed to lose weight! I remember a counselor telling me that medication is really only a band-aid and sooner or later I was going to have to challenge myself more and venture out further and further from my home because I developed agoraphobia. I did try but was only able to travel 1.5 hrs away from home and that's it. Anyway, I'm not taking anything right now. I question myself all the time and wonder if I need to go back on medication again. I still get anxious and panicky, especially first thing in the morning. I try to think positive thoughts. I'm trying to get through my panic attacks on my own. When I think I can't, I take an ativan, but I do try to ride out the attacks. I think it helps me to know I CAN get through the panic myself. it's hard, but I do it. The only thing that does bother me is that I do feel very emotional and lonely a lot. My husband and I don't have the best relationship right now and I feel like I'm going through life all alone. Thanks for listening:)

Quoting seaturtle1:

seaturtle1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I am so sorry you do not have a supportive hubby right now.  Have you ever thought of going to a natural doctor?  They are expensive but if you could save up for it or find one that has a sliding scale I would.  Just check them out really well and make sure they are not doing voodoo type stuff.  But a good doctor versed in herbs and other natural stuff.  They can be so good at getting panic attacks undercontrol.  My natural doctor bless her heart is so good and has tried but my panic hates every thing we try.  But see my panic comes from an illness I suffer from,  It is a symptom of my illness.  And my illness is out of control right now.  I have seen lots of people get good help with panic from a natural doctor.  Panic first thing in the morning is called a night time cortisol spike.  I get this every morning it is awful to wake up this way every morning.  So I feel your pain.  I will say a prayer for you that you find peace about your decison on the prozac.  A natural doctor tries to fix what is wrong in your body so the panic gets better.  I do also beleive in regular meds but I like natural as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

I was so depressed, anxious, and panic attack stricken that I honestly can't say if the Prozac made me feel worse at first when I first started taking it. All I can remember is that after about 6 weeks or so...I think it took that long?...it's been so long I can't remember how long it took exactly for the pros to start working...I'm thinking I started feeling a little better after about a month. But i was also taking Ativan too when I had panic attacks, which was SEVERAL times a day. I was taking ativan like candy just to function. Prozac did help me with my depression, anxiety, anxious thoughts, my panic attacks and agoraphobia too. The side effects I had was diarrhea, feeling tired, lose of appetite...not too bad though, which was kind of good for me because I needed to lose weight! I remember a counselor telling me that medication is really only a band-aid and sooner or later I was going to have to challenge myself more and venture out further and further from my home because I developed agoraphobia. I did try but was only able to travel 1.5 hrs away from home and that's it. Anyway, I'm not taking anything right now. I question myself all the time and wonder if I need to go back on medication again. I still get anxious and panicky, especially first thing in the morning. I try to think positive thoughts. I'm trying to get through my panic attacks on my own. When I think I can't, I take an ativan, but I do try to ride out the attacks. I think it helps me to know I CAN get through the panic myself. it's hard, but I do it. The only thing that does bother me is that I do feel very emotional and lonely a lot. My husband and I don't have the best relationship right now and I feel like I'm going through life all alone. Thanks for listening:)

Quoting seaturtle1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Thanks for your support:) I've never looked into natural remedies, thanks. Yes, I'm struggling. I'm really close to starting the Prozac again. it's really hard to do it alone, ya know? My husband struggles with his own anxiety issues so we seem to "bounce off" each other so to speak. he gets anxious, I get anxious. It's very difficult because I do try to be supportive to him but I feel like I don't get the support I need when I need it. Our relationship is very estranged right now. I don't have any friends or family to turn to either for support. I have isolated myself over the years because of my depression and anxiety. I have lost relationships because I developed agoraphobia and couldn't travel far from home to visit anyone so people got tired of me. Have you ever suffered with agoraphobia?

Ps...I have to go for now but will check back with you later:)

Quoting seaturtle1:

I am so sorry you do not have a supportive hubby right now.  Have you ever thought of going to a natural doctor?  They are expensive but if you could save up for it or find one that has a sliding scale I would.  Just check them out really well and make sure they are not doing voodoo type stuff.  But a good doctor versed in herbs and other natural stuff.  They can be so good at getting panic attacks undercontrol.  My natural doctor bless her heart is so good and has tried but my panic hates every thing we try.  But see my panic comes from an illness I suffer from,  It is a symptom of my illness.  And my illness is out of control right now.  I have seen lots of people get good help with panic from a natural doctor.  Panic first thing in the morning is called a night time cortisol spike.  I get this every morning it is awful to wake up this way every morning.  So I feel your pain.  I will say a prayer for you that you find peace about your decison on the prozac.  A natural doctor tries to fix what is wrong in your body so the panic gets better.  I do also beleive in regular meds but I like natural as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting seaturtle1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN