Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Hard time making friends at age 47 ETA

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:22 PM
  • 30 Replies
2 moms liked this

I feel like people just don't like me.  Family,friends.  Have a friend who lives accross the street,but I feel like I have often done things to offend her.  I feel paranoid I guess. I feel no one likes me.  I don't know how to act with friends right now.  I let them know too much personal info about me,ie panic attacks,maybe too soon.  Old friends have faded away.  I'm tired of so often making the plans and making the 1st move.

ETA:  Hugs,and thank you all,I don't feel so alone.

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dizzy77702
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:30 PM
2 moms liked this
I feel the same way. I often feel like I am the only one putting in the effort. Hugs

Quoting SandyLaxner:

I feel like people just don't like me.  Family,friends.  Have a friend who lives accross the street,but I feel like I have often done things to offend her.  I feel paranoid I guess. I feel no one likes me.  I don't know how to act with friends right now.  I let them know too much personal info about me,ie panic attacks,maybe too soon.  Old friends have faded away.  I'm tired of so often making the plans and making the 1st move.

gonecrazi
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I understand how you feel. I have 1 friend but I don't see her very often.

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Quoting gonecrazi:

I understand how you feel. I have 1 friend but I don't see her very often.

TY.  I don't feel so alone.

pce68
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I know what you mean. It seems like every time I make a good friend, something happens and they disappear out of my life. I know some people at church, and they say they are my friend, but I don't feel like they are, bc to do anything with them, I have to make the first move. They never call me and ask me to do anything with them, or even just call to chat. If I want to get together with them, I have to do the inviting, and then I'm not sure if they really want to do stuff with me or if they just accept to be nice, bc it's the Christian thing to do. I just don't know how to make really good, close friends, and I need some sooooo bad right now. I have a couple of close friends but they all live far away and I don't get to see them very often. I don't even talk to them much bc I'm not much for talking on the phone. And now some of my family has turned against me as well, so sometimes I feel like I have no support whatsoever.

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Quoting pce68:

I know what you mean. It seems like every time I make a good friend, something happens and they disappear out of my life. I know some people at church, and they say they are my friend, but I don't feel like they are, bc to do anything with them, I have to make the first move. They never call me and ask me to do anything with them, or even just call to chat. If I want to get together with them, I have to do the inviting, and then I'm not sure if they really want to do stuff with me or if they just accept to be nice, bc it's the Christian thing to do. I just don't know how to make really good, close friends, and I need some sooooo bad right now. I have a couple of close friends but they all live far away and I don't get to see them very often. I don't even talk to them much bc I'm not much for talking on the phone. And now some of my family has turned against me as well, so sometimes I feel like I have no support whatsoever.

I hear ya.

peggles78
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:41 AM

I know what you mean. I know that part of my particular problem is that I isolate myself. Why I'm not totally sure. But it doesn't make it any easier. **hugs**

nai_ryoku
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I'm the same way. I usually have to make the 1st move and I only have a few very close friends. But you know what, the way that I'm open about things that nobody else dares say, they find that endearing about me. Have you gone to support groups to find others w/ similar personalities like yours? It seems like it's harder for us to find friendships cuz of our disorders still being taboo in this day and age and it's really sad.

gammie
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:37 AM
2 moms liked this

Did I write this? lol no it seems like as we get older it is harder to make friends. This is why we pick a dh that is your bf and I love being with my kids.

All I have to say is be yourself, let people love who you are.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:58 AM
2 moms liked this

Are you kidding, I could have wrote this post myself. I feel exactly the way you do. I'm 44, married, have kids, but I don't have any friends. I would really like just one good, honest, trustworthy friend that I could talk to, get together with and share life's ups and downs with. My depression, anxiety, and agoraphobia has kept me from meeting new people and establishing friendships. I feel like I never fit in. I often feel ignored and snubbed by other women and moms. In group settings, I feel invisible and disregarded, like I'm not even there or I don't matter, my opinion doesn't matter, and I'm of no importance. I've had women speak over me and "pretend" what I just said was not heard and they keep talking again amoungst themselves like I don't even exist. I lack confidence and I feel insecure because of this. I don't like being alone and by myself, but I have yet to meet another lady that will be my friend and accept me just the way I am.

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:01 AM
4 moms liked this

im 48 and i dont have any friends either. you want to be online friends? just message me and i will write back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)