Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Scary Thoughts and Images

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:04 AM
  • 5 Replies

I don't know why I keep thinking about scary things. I will think about scary thoughts or images of a monster or a face like the girl in the exorcist movie and it scares me and I can't stop thinking about it? Why does this happen? I don't watch scary movies. If I see something scary, I tend to dwell on it.  I'm having severe panic attacks over it. I am not on any meds. If intruding thoughts and images scare me so much, why doesn't my brain protect me and help me to not think of such negative, scary things? (Does that make sense?) 

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
momwriter
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Hmmm... not sure but I used to see violent images in my head when I was depressed, even ones with me being violent (and I'm not that way AT ALL). I guess it can be part of depression....Talk to dr about it.

redi4change
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 4:06 PM

BUMP!

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 4:15 PM

sometimes you have intrusive thoughts when you are dealing with depression. i have had that happen to me before. i was put on an antidepressant for it and it worked.  maybe that is what you need to do. im sorry you are dealing with this cause it can be awful. please get the help you need.

redi4change
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Hi, Lyrick, there you are again, nice to hear from you...you are always so helpful, thank you:) I'm back on Prozac again. Second time around with it so I hope it works for me. I started taking it yesterday. i'm feeling really panicky today. I'm shaky too. I'm thinking negatively. I took an Ativan too. I forgot how long it takes for the prozac to start working. I know I'm going to probably feel a lot worse before I start to feel better. I can't stop thinking that something bad is going to happen to me. I just want to stop thinking myself into panic. How do you deal with scary images and thoughts?

Quoting lyrick24:

sometimes you have intrusive thoughts when you are dealing with depression. i have had that happen to me before. i was put on an antidepressant for it and it worked.  maybe that is what you need to do. im sorry you are dealing with this cause it can be awful. please get the help you need.

lancet98
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Quoting redi4change:

I don't know why I keep thinking about scary things.

I guess I'm confused.   Are you just thinking about it, or do you actually see it?

I will think about scary thoughts or images of a monster or a face like the girl in the exorcist movie and it scares me and I can't stop thinking about it? Why does this happen?

It depends.   If it's scary thoughts - that tends to happen with anxiety and high stress.   Many people feel they're coping well with a bad situation but such thoughts show they are really under a lot of strain.

If you are actually seeing it - that's different.   I mean not remembering it or recalling it, but seeing it in front of you - that's different.

It can happen with severe depression, and with other disorders, that you may 'see things'.   That can happen.   It can happen with various physical/medical ailments too - but with any of them, you'd feel really ill - German measles, measles, kidney disease, etc.

I don't watch scary movies. If I see something scary, I tend to dwell on it.  I'm having severe panic attacks over it. I am not on any meds. If intruding thoughts and images scare me so much, why doesn't my brain protect me and help me to not think of such negative, scary things? (Does that make sense?) 

Your brain IS trying to protect you when you see these things!    Like ALL symptoms, this is a 'fix me' signal.

It's saying, 'hey, excuse me, I don't feel good here, I'm off balance, I need a little help here, let's go see a doctor and find out what's wrong with me!!'

ALL symptoms, of ALL illnesses, are protective.   They may not be PLEASANT, but they ARE protective!   Such as the pain that says 'hey, don't walk on that ankle, it's sprained, time to treat it!'

So.   Thoughts, recalled images - can be anxiety, high stress (sleep deprivation, some medications, substance abuse....lots of things...).

Actually seeing it - in front of you - can be depression or other disorders.

Same deal in either case - go to the doctor, find out what's wrong, fix it.

How to deal in the mean time?   Assure yourself that it is not real, and think of it not as some horrible premonition but - well - I think of it as a kind of brain fart, just a product of stress - a natural thing for the brain to do when under stress, to kind of 'blow off steam'.   Nothing portending the future or anything like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)