Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why Are We So Quickly Judged And Labeled?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:40 AM
  • 6 Replies

Have you ever felt quickly judged and labeled? There are days where I feel really crabby and cranky. Maybe I'm PMS-ING, maybe my anxiety is just getting the best of me....but my son will automatically label me as being bipolar. I have been told by my doctor that I am not bipolar but people around me will assume I am because I'm irritable, cranky, crabby, and mean sometimes and I don't want to be bothered. Why are people so quick to judge that something is wrong with you? Why is it that being bipolar is thrown around too easily now a days? Seems if you're not perfect, you must be bipolar!

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
lancet98
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:53 AM

'Bipolar' has lost all meaning.   People now use the word for any behavior they don't agree with at a given moment.   I heard two teen girls at the mall saying to another girl, 'stop being so bipolar', because the third girl wanted to stop in a store that they two did not want to stop in.

I thnk the problem lies more with your son than anywhere else, that is, unless you are not getting adequate treatment for your own problems and really are driving everyone around you, crazy.

I would tell my son that 'bipolar' is a diagnosis, not an insult or a complaint, and until he gets his medical degree and completes his residency, he is NOT to use that word.   If he does not like my behavior, he can find better words to use and he can be more clear about what he wants.

Example.   Mom is shouting.  'Mom, you are shouting.   When you shout, I feel angry and upset.   I want you to speak in a lower volume'.

Wha is happening, how it makes you feel, and what you want the person to do instead.

NO INSULTS.   Just state the plain simple facts.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:00 AM

because unfortunately, people are uneducated about mental illness.

lucy164
by Peggy on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:43 PM

i think some people have very little information about mental illness when they say these things to you.  people throw the term bipolar around too often.  if your md says you're not bipolar, then you'e not bipolar.

SpiritFortress
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I noticed that about the bipolar diagnosis too. It's overused for sure. Yes, I've felt judged and labeled. It doesn't feel good. 

deltathree
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:12 AM

so many judgments, sterotypes out there - it's horrible.  Hugs.

Serenity7
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I don't know

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)