• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm Having Another Panic Attack!

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:33 AM
  • 10 Replies

It's 3am and I woke up in a panic.my heart is racing, I feel like I can't breath, my body feels like it's on fire and I think I'm going to die or I think I'm going to lose my mind or go crazy! I'm thinking that my ears are buzzing and I'm going to lose it! This burning hot feeling going through my body is so intense and I'm so scared. There's always something that I think of that makes me panic whether it's a scary thought or bodily symptom that I think is wrong with me. Oh Lord, why am I going through this? Why won't it stop! My husband is sleeping and I don't have anyone to talk to. The house is pitch black. He'll be getting up at 5am to go to work so I can't wake him up or he'll be tired at work. My kids are sleeping. I don't want them to hear me up. I keep pacing back and forth. I start to clean to keep my mind busy so I don't think about the panic. My bedroom is cluttered and it's making me extremely anxious. I have to get this crap out of here. I feel like this room is closing in on me. I wish it would get light outside already. I wish I could call someone and talk but there's no one I can call. I feel like crying. I'm too scared and tired to cry this time. I'm so exhausted. My mouth is so dry I need to get something to drink. I have an upset stomach and I have diarrhea. My stomach is in knots. Now I'm sitting on my bed with the fan turned on full blast and I feel nervous but not as panicked. I'm ok for the moment but scared because I know this is only the first of who knows how many panic attacks I'll have today. Ok, now starting to come down. Breathing is better. I feel like I'm here instead of in a dazey fog. Everytime I panic I think I need to go to the hospital or something bad's going to happen to me. I feel nauseous and sick to my stomach like I want to vomit, I guess it's because of the adrenaline.. I feel like I have a wad of cotton in my mouth and my mouth is so dry. My heart rate is slowing down. I take a deep breath. I'm ok and I didn't die. I made it through this one without an ativan. This one lasted me a half hour. The night time panic attacks are the worst because everyone's asleep and i'm so scared by myself. Having the panic attack has now made me feel like i haven't slept in days. I'm going to lay here now and pray and hopefully fall asleep for a little while.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2BeAmy
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:37 AM
That SUCKS but that's happened to me and I'm a hypochondriac for it. You're not dying. Just take long deep breaths and put music on. Then keep tv on. Or put your adrenaline rush to work and go outside and jog or something.

I do not take meds and read many websites how to control them. The above is my best method.

I'm sorry this happened to you but be sure you're FINE!!! <3 death isn't knocking at your door this is showing your body is responding in a healthy way when it receives the thought that danger is near (fight or flight) lol :) go to sleeeeep
diaperstodating
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:37 AM
~ Hugs ~
lucy164
by Peggy on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:33 AM

are you on any antianxiety med.  if so, take it before you go to bed.  just a thought.

Rosebud333776
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:40 AM
Try deep breathing slowly in and out thru your abdomin during this time.
leahbeah143
by Leah on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:47 AM

*hugs*

My box fan is my lifesaver whenever I'm feeling that bad! Also sips of really cold water and bits of saltines. I hope you're feeling better now. I always feel so worn out and tired after I've had a panic attack like that.

nowynd
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Prayer is always good.  I often ask the Lord to let me sleep in his arms tonight.

I absolutely love 3 o'clock in the morning!  I have purchased a himalayan salt lamp that I keep on all of the time.  It sits towards the back of one of my end tables in the living room, next to the couch.  Gives off this amber glow.  I also have a comfy blanket and pillows that I keep on my couch.  When I wake at 3, I like to lay on the couch with the lamp glowing.  It is so quiet and so peaceful.  Eventually I fall back asleep, to wake again later to go to the bathroom and then back to bed. 

Deep breathing is great.  Do you have a paper bag to breathe in?  Small one of course.  By breathing in the same air that you breathed out, you take in the CO2 again, building it up.  This is controversial as to whether it really works or not, but I have always found it helpful.  Even breathing into a glass of water while drinking is helpful to me.  I always said that I was drinking air.  LOL

Do fix your bedroom the way you need it.  Sleep is soooooo important!

harajukumoma
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:38 PM
I always feel like keeping busy helps me get my mind off of it, do dishes, go walking, etc. good luck :-)
matreshka
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Do you see a therapist to learn some good coping skills for the panic attacks and anxiety?

redi4change
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Right now, I'm only under the care of a psychiatrist. I'm not sure if I should see a Councelor, psychologist, or behavior therapist? I don't know what would be best? I have suffered with panic attacks for close to 15 years and I did seek counseling in the beginning. I was also part of a support group and church. When I started feeling better, I stopped going. Now, years later, I need to start all over again. I don't understand why I was ok,for so long and then wham! The panic came back? I feel like I did 15 years ago when my depression, anxiety, and panic first started. 

Quoting matreshka:

Do you see a therapist to learn some good coping skills for the panic attacks and anxiety?

matreshka
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:54 AM

They are all pretty much the same.  Someone that can help teach you coping skills would be best and they all should be able to do that or they aren't doing their job.

Quoting redi4change:

Right now, I'm only under the care of a psychiatrist. I'm not sure if I should see a Councelor, psychologist, or behavior therapist? I don't know what would be best? I have suffered with panic attacks for close to 15 years and I did seek counseling in the beginning. I was also part of a support group and church. When I started feeling better, I stopped going. Now, years later, I need to start all over again. I don't understand why I was ok,for so long and then wham! The panic came back? I feel like I did 15 years ago when my depression, anxiety, and panic first started. 

Quoting matreshka:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)