• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I find a pregnancy loss counselor?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:44 PM
  • 5 Replies
Recently lost my 4th baby on Thursday and I'm still in shock. Emotionally numb and physically feel lifeless.

My husband doesn't understand and can't support me. He just tells me not to break down because when I cry I'm an embarrassment. He hates that I grieve for so long.

My dr is worthless and uncaring. She won't help me find a counselor. This is my last time dealing with her. I am switching drs.

How do I find a counselor that deals with miscarriages/pregnancy loss?
I live in Iowa and I have insurance under my mom.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
nowynd
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I would start with the OBGYN department in your local hospital.  Also the local county health department might be a good resource.

I am glad you are switching doctors.  We really do need to feel that our doctors have our best interest in mind.

matreshka
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I would call your local mental health clinic and ask them if they have a therapist that deals with pregnancy loss. You may also want to call 211 and see if there are any support groups in your area for pregnancy loss

leahbeah143
by Leah on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Good for you for finding a new doctor! Can your insurance company help steer you in the direction of where you might be able to find a counselor?

maureen813
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 7:17 AM
I am a therapist working with children, some who have experienced the loss of a parent through death, divorce, removal of rights. I would tell you to contact your local mental health center and request a referral for someone with expertise in maternal grief and loss, mostly you need a very sensitive and experienced clinician.
rhodaj
by rho on Oct. 13, 2013 at 8:58 AM

You can call the United Way or call the crisses center and see if they can help you out in finding someone. I'm not sure were you are at but for us to contact United Way to get just a listing we dial 211

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)