• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nervous about a Dr appt tomorrow

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:17 PM
  • 9 Replies
So I came to the place where I believe I need to be on meds again. It's not as bad as it has been but I don't want it to get there so I made an appointment with a new psychiatrist and am going in tomorrow. The first one I ever saw I had no connection with and felt like she was just throwing all different kinds of medication my way hoping something would work, so I am not going back there again. However with this appointment I have to see a liscensed therapist to "screen" me first to see if the doctor needs to prescribe meds or not. Has anyone ever heard of this before? It's hard enough for me to get in the door to speak with some stranger about my personal mental state, let alone have to feel like I need to convince someone I need meds again. Previously I have been diagnosed with severe depression and generalized anxiety disorder. All of my symptoms are back except I am not crying all the time anymore. I feel like I have ran out of tears? I guess I just have a lot of anxiety about going through this process again. I hope I can get some relief soon.....
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
flowrsgalore
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Hope the appointment goes better than expected. Just the thought of going in & unloading the entire mess of  issues to someone makes me heave a sigh of unwillingness. I guess if you think of it as a step to getting to a better place than maybe it will be easier to do? Good thoughts  going out for you to get a person who is really able to help.

mammajae
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Thank you. I was up late last night with worries :(
lucy164
by Peggy on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:17 AM

i went through a similar process.  just talking to a therapist about moods, how bad my depression was and my personal problems,  had him refer me to a psychiatrist.  you don't have to be nervous, just tell the truth and be yourself.  make a list of things you want to remember to tell him before you go.  i forget everything so that's what i do.  if you've been diagnosed with severe depresssion and anxiety, tell the therapist that and you should have no problem.

lyrick24
by Group Admin on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:38 AM

yes, it is normal to talk to a therapist first. just be sure to tell her that you think you need to be on meds. everything will be fine.

matreshka
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:01 AM

At least around here its normal to see a therapist first and have them determine if you need a psych doc. A therapist is a professional and should help you out along with the meds for things like coping skills with dealing with the anxiety and depression. Goood luck and let us know how it went.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM

*hugs*

good luck!

mammajae
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Well everything went as good as could be expected :) the therapist lady was real inviting and easy to talk to. Our session was only supposed to be 50 min long but I was there for an hour and 15 min. She agreed with me that I do need to start some more meds and I will be seeing the Dr next week. The only downfall to it all is that they do not except insurance so it could be quite costly initially while getting started :( but my husband and I both agree if I get feeling better it is money well spent. I want to give a big thanks to all of you with your encouragement and kind words. It really does help a lot to have people to reach out to so thanks again :)
Linagma03
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I had to go thru a screening when I first began to see a psychiatrist part of it was to determine if I would need medication, then to see if I needed an actual Dr or if a therapist would be just as helpful. In the beginning I saw the Dr then later I was just seeing a therapist. It took me a long time to find a therapist that I felt really comfortable with and has been helping me greatly. I was doing really good and was able to stop seeing her for about 4 years and just recently began to go back and see her again. She has been a big help and even not having seen her face to face for so long the connection was still there. 

whosman
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Glad everything went o.k. for you! You'll get through this! Sending "Hugs" your way!! Wendy
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)