Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

What is with people?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

My fiance (who struggles with being bi polar) is having a hard time this past week with his emotions. last 2 days he has been very depressed even suicidal. i talked to him and we decided he should go into the hospital and get on meds and get help until he is stable. My friend who i wont name had recently helped him get a new job with the company she works for, so she asked today if he was going to training and i told her he had to go into the hospital and why and her biggest concern was her job and whether or not she would have issues with her job with the company for recommending him. now i understand that, but as a friend who needs her friend, i would think her biggest concern would be that my fiance who is also her friend needs help. my other friend also unnamed is saying things along the line of well hope it even works. and that her sister went in and everyine there is assholes and that she feels bad he has to be away from us and wished he didnt have to (of course that part isnt bad) but i just feel like come on where the hell is the support?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:52 AM

he done the right thing by going in. im sorry you are not getting the support from your friends that you need. very responsible decision on your part to get him help. we are here tosupport you in this group. vent in here any time.

fivegirls333
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:19 AM

bi-polar is an exhausting condition.  for the person and definitely for their friends and family.  unfortunately, until something like this hits their own daily lives?  they have no idea and being supportive seems endless.  maybe you are expecting too much from your friends and family.  as much as you explain...they will never "get it".  people want a fix it pill and a healing.  that is not bp.  i would get any help or some counseling the hospital may have access to...for you.  i know that in my personal experience the biggest help to anyone was a faith in God.  it may seem silly, but at least when they are manic they do not spend all of the $, act out sexually, or any other destructive behavior.  blessings...and prayers.

gonecrazi
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Not everyone understands what it takes to admit you need your meds. Sorry your friends are not being supportive. You have us if you need us.

DysphoniaBec
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:17 AM

You are lucky that your fiance realizes he needs help and meds.  With bipolar people, that is half the battle!

There is a national support group for and by families and loved ones with bipolar and other mental illness.  NAMI is the National Alliance for Mental Illiness.  They have meetings once a month for the families and those with mental illness.  They also have "Family to Family" classes available they have very good information about the brain, how the meds work, the cycles people go through, etc.  The classes help both the family and loved ones to understand their disease, especially bipolar.  Good luck.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:56 AM

*hugs*

people don't understand mental illness, unfortunately.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Business is business. Maybe your friend feels a little let down? Seems like she trusted you both to follow through with company needs. I'm sure she could use some support in that ? Not wanting to attack  you two. happy for your husband to take the step in becoming a healthier person. 

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:18 PM

A lot of people just don't get mental illness.

elwalters77
by Erica on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Quoting leahbeah143:

*hugs*

people don't understand mental illness, unfortunately.

This. Unfortunately there is such a stigma around mental illness. :(
captainjack
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:28 PM

you never get the support you need.  You need to take care of yourself.

rhodaj
by rho on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:51 PM

What a bunch of self centered people. I'm sorry this has happened to you, I hope your fiance starts getting better.

When something like this happens you always find out who your true friends are.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)