Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Ativan & Zoloft while nursing?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:26 AM
  • 6 Replies

I've had anxiety for a long time and I've been on more meds than I can possibly count. I made it through my first pregnancy with my son without meds fine. They did give me Wellbuterin while I was pregnant for him but I was too scared to take anything that I never ended up using it. About 2 years ago I found Cymbalta and it worked! But when I became pregnant with my daughter my doctor had to wean me off of it. Well it's also not safe for breastfeeding either. They've started me on Zoloft because these past few weeks my anxiety has come back with a vengeance! I've seen myself slowly decline and I've been having an average of 2 anxiety attacks a day. 

Some days are ok and I can push through the attacks and make it through the day. But just making it through the day isn't good enough for my kids, to me anyways. I can't sleep at night and then it's hard just getting out of bed. So after much research I decided to ask about ativan for the anxiety attacks, only when they get really severe. Thing is I'm terrified to take it and honestly can't say if I will be able to take it or not when/if I have an attack. I've read that it peaks in breast milk 2 hours after you take it and to avoid nursing around that time. (I also read to take it after a feeding, like you're able to "plan" your attacks?) Anyways, have any of you been on this while breastfeeding? I just don't want this getting through to my daughter via my breast milk. I feel like I'm out of options though. I desperately want to breastfeed since it's going SO well for us but at the same time I need the medication to help me through my anxiety. 

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:28 AM

to be honest i have never heard of taking an antianxiety med while breastfeeding. i would get a second opinion before i done it.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:42 AM

How old is your lo who you are breastfeeding and is she eating any foods yet? My doc started me on klonopin when I was toward the end of breastfeeding and my son was eating solids. Have you tried things like progressive muscle relaxation when you feel anxiety coming on?

amberlavine
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:08 AM
She is only 2 1/2 months so still exclusively breastfed. I've never tried progressive muscle relaxation I've never heard of it I'll have to look it up and try it.

Quoting matreshka:

How old is your lo who you are breastfeeding and is she eating any foods yet? My doc started me on klonopin when I was toward the end of breastfeeding and my son was eating solids. Have you tried things like progressive muscle relaxation when you feel anxiety coming on?

amberlavine
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I've been looking online on other websites, because my regular doctor/OB is on maternity leave. I would much rather have her opinion than the doctor that I had just seen. I'd been contemplating even asking for it because it scares me. 

Quoting lyrick24:

to be honest i have never heard of taking an antianxiety med while breastfeeding. i would get a second opinion before i done it.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:33 PM
I'm not a doc but I think because she is so young and you're ebf'ing that anti anxiety meds are not the way to go. I have heard zoloft is safe but never took it while breastfeeding.

Quoting amberlavine:

She is only 2 1/2 months so still exclusively breastfed. I've never tried progressive muscle relaxation I've never heard of it I'll have to look it up and try it.

Quoting matreshka:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sundevilmom
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I was put on zoloft, but my DR wouldn't prescribe any meds until I was done breastfeeding.  Luckily for me, DD was almost 3 by the time my anxiety kicked it & I needed meds.  Along with talking to your DR, I would encourage you to speak with your pediatrician as well.  She might have some insight or thoughts.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)