Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

advice?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies

A few days ago a talk with dh became an argument and ended with me having an anxiety attack. Or at least I think that's what it was. I do hyperventilate sometimes when I get too upset but this seemed worse. I literally couldn't talk or breath and was having spasms like I was hiccuping. I had to lock myself in the bathroom and calm down. I wish we could afford therapy. Does this happen to anybody else? Anybody have any advice?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mrscamplan
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:06 AM

I have such severe anxiety attacks i end up hospitalized convulsing and not breathing. They perscribed me colonopin for it but i only take them at the onset of one it helps calm me down. what you described sounds like a mild anxiety attack (which for those who have never had a severe one a mild one can feel severe) If you ever have any questions about them or just need to talk feel free to message me!

redi4change
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:15 PM

How terrible that must be for you Mrs.c. I completely understand the debilitation of living with panic attacks. I've been suffering with them for nearly 15 years and living with panic has made me also suffer with agoraphobia. I'm currently on my second round with Prozac. I'm almost in my 6th week with it. i'm coming along ok with the help of Ativan too.

OP, does this happen to you often where you feel like you can't breath or you hyperventilate? I would say that you may have had a mild form of an anxiety attack, but for most, including me, panic attacks are much more debilitating. Some symptoms for me are dysphoria, shortness of breath and feeling like I cannot breath or that I'm suffocating, racing heartbeat, extreme fear and shaking, lose of control and feeling like I'm going to die or go crazy, irrational/scary thoughts. I also feel disoriented and I feel buzzing in my head. This happens to me several times a day, not every once in a while.

Quoting mrscamplan:

I have such severe anxiety attacks i end up hospitalized convulsing and not breathing. They perscribed me colonopin for it but i only take them at the onset of one it helps calm me down. what you described sounds like a mild anxiety attack (which for those who have never had a severe one a mild one can feel severe) If you ever have any questions about them or just need to talk feel free to message me!

lucy164
by Peggy on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

my doctor prescribed 1/2 mg of klonopin.  works great for me.  also, if you think you are going to have a panic attack, try breathing in slowly through your nose only and exhale through your mouth.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Thank you all for your responses! 

@redi4change I'm not really sure how to describe it as this was the first time it has ever happened . Maybe I was hyperventilating so hard I couldn't breathe. I don't remember if my heartbeat sped up or not. I've been having problems where I get a little disoriented and feel like there's a bunch of pressure on my head, my whole body feels heavy and I get short of breath but nothing really serious. I may be over reacting because as soon as I called down I was fine. I just never not been able to breathe. I already crazy thoughts going through my head before that happened.  I normally don't need medication to control my anxiety but we've been having financial and martial problems for the past 6 months and I'm becoming more and stressed. 

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Lucy's breathing idea really does help. Progressive muscle relaxation helps too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)