Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Zoloft during pregnancy

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:46 PM
  • 18 Replies

Have any of you taken Zoloft while being pregnant? If so did you have a normal pregnancy? I was prescribed it in June when I was about 10 weeks pregnant. I wasn't given much info then. I was only told that the benefits outweigh the risks because I was suicidal. Well I quit taking it. I went to a different psychiatrist yesterday and she said that it can cause miscarriage or preterm labor. I was pretty mad that I wasn't made aware of this before. I am still going to take it because I get extremely depressed and I think that the benefits outweigh the risks. I plan on talking to a midwife and seeing if I can be monitored more often since the chances of me having preterm labor are higher.

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Serenity7
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:21 PM

There are safe medication you can take. You need to talk to your doctor about it

fairchildmama
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:31 PM

i started mine right after pregnancy but i was nursing and i know that was a concern since the drug classification was unsafe for nursing so with my dd i weened her started my prescription. with my youngest ds they waited again until i wasnt pregnant before they put me on it again. i know off subject for heart burn  i got put on nexium which i heard is a no no for pregnancy from other doctors..i think if your monitored and baby is as well hopefully everything will be okay. i think you have a great plan because your health is just as important as babies. i hope everything works out for you in the end and congrats on the baby! i also think it is good you gathered a 2nd opinion on the issue to. if your still conflicted id call poison control maybe to get more information on zoloft and pregnancy 

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I took Lexapro while pregnant w/DS,it is in the same drug family as Zoloft.  (SSRI's)  SSRI's have been linked to Autism.  DS 6yo has Autism.

ChandraSeay
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:40 PM
I did talk to my doctor about it and several midwives, they failed to mention all the risks to me.

Quoting Serenity7:

There are safe medication you can take. You need to talk to your doctor about it

ChandraSeay
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Thank you. That is a good idea. I will do that in a little bit.

Quoting fairchildmama:

i started mine right after pregnancy but i was nursing and i know that was a concern since the drug classification was unsafe for nursing so with my dd i weened her started my prescription. with my youngest ds they waited again until i wasnt pregnant before they put me on it again. i know off subject for heart burn  i got put on nexium which i heard is a no no for pregnancy from other doctors..i think if your monitored and baby is as well hopefully everything will be okay. i think you have a great plan because your health is just as important as babies. i hope everything works out for you in the end and congrats on the baby! i also think it is good you gathered a 2nd opinion on the issue to. if your still conflicted id call poison control maybe to get more information on zoloft and pregnancy 

ChandraSeay
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:44 PM

That really concerns me. I wasn't told about that. I already have one son with autism.

Quoting SandyLaxner:

I took Lexapro while pregnant w/DS,it is in the same drug family as Zoloft.  (SSRI's)  SSRI's have been linked to Autism.  DS 6yo has Autism.

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Quoting ChandraSeay:

That really concerns me. I wasn't told about that. I already have one son with autism.

Quoting SandyLaxner:

I 1st read about it in an Autism Magazine,an ad for lawyers who wanted cases where pregnant Mom took SSRIs and child was later dx with Autism.  We joined that lawsuit,against the drug co's.  Is there a  connection,will we get a settlement for our son,who knows?

fairchildmama
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Good luck! 

Quoting ChandraSeay:

Thank you. That is a good idea. I will do that in a little bit.

Quoting fairchildmama:

momwriter
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I took meds with all 3 of my pregnancies. For me, also, the benefits outweighed the risks. I have 3 healthy kids!

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Zoloft is one of the safer meds but there still are potential risks from what the one doctor told you.  If it is helping you stay on it. I know nothing about the links of ssri use to autism in kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)