Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

This doesn't sit well with me

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:59 AM
  • 9 Replies
I wanted some outside opinions on this before I do anything. My mil asked me to make a doll and now a haul bag for her great grand daughter. Problem is she's not doing any of the work or even buying the supplies but going to give these items as gifts from her to her great grand daughter anyways. I don't mind doing it but it is time away from cleaning or doing something else I need to do. The thing is if she's not contributing in any ways to this gift except to ship it then its not really like it's from her but from me except it is not going to be from me if that makes sense. I've made items for my mom to give people before and she's always paid for the materials and put both of our names on the card. Which seems only fair. Idk why but this whole thing doesn't sit well with me and I'm seriously considering telling her I can't do it. I just don't want to upset my husband. I honestly don't care much about my mil. She's just looking to not spend any money on a gift and take credit for something that isn't even hers. So my question is am I right to be upset about this?
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
leahbeah143
by Leah on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I would ask if she could pick up the materials.

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM

i think she should pay for the supplies. its like she is making you pay and do all the work and she is just putting her name on it. she is taking advantage of you. if your husband doesnt like it tell him to pay for it.

dizzy77702
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:47 PM
When I've brought this up she tells me that I owe her bc she's babysat for me a handful of times and brings up the fact that supposedly I borrowed money from her which I honestly don't remember doing. She acts like she is entitled to have me do things for her for free just bc I am her dil not to mention that when she goes away I watch her dog and my husband is always going over her house to help her with something. She is quick to call when she needs something but when I need a favor it's a different story. I don't like that she's trying to guilt me into doing this for her. Her approach is all wrong.

Quoting lyrick24:

i think she should pay for the supplies. its like she is making you pay and do all the work and she is just putting her name on it. she is taking advantage of you. if your husband doesnt like it tell him to pay for it.

lucy164
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:05 AM

i think she should tell everyone that you made it.  also she should pay for all the supplies.

KRIZZ25
not everyone's child should be treated special ..
Yesterday at 10:56 PM
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 3:07 PM
tell her she will have to pay u or get stuff to do it.
matreshka
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I ithink she should get you the supplies. The past doesn't matter.

diaperstodating
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Quoting lucy164:

i think she should tell everyone that you made it.  also she should pay for all the supplies.

dizzy77702
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 3:29 PM
I was given the supplies so that's not the big deal. I plan on putting a label on it saying I made it and I can't embroider the child's name plus she's not paying me so I don't want to do the extra work. I also would like if she puts that the gift is from both of us as that seems only fair. In the future I won't be using her for babysitting bc I don't want to "owe" her. If she wants me to make more items for her in the future she will have to pay me for them. This is a one shot deal and the only reason I am doing it is to keep peace between me and my husband.
elwalters77
by Erica on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, that's rude.

Kinda reminds me of my own mom. I take care of their pets and get their mail when they go on vacation, help them with computer and other electronic stuff they don't understand and spend hours helping my Dad with his résumé and applying for jobs online, but when I need them to watch my boys for a few hours she gripes about it. Grrrr
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)