Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

How long before an anti-depressant stops working?

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:14 PM
  • 3 Replies

I've been doing well on Cymbalta and Geodon for a year but recently started feeling very tired (this was a huge part of my depression in the past) and some kind of yucky feeling i can't put a finger on....I'm scared that my meds are pooping out on me. How long have certain anti-d's worked for you?

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
lucy164
by Peggy on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:51 AM

prozac worked for 10 years.  cymbalta for 5 so far.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:13 AM
my meds stop working fairly quickly like within several months. geodon has been good for me son far but cymbalta stopped working at the highest dose in less than a year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lancet98
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Antidepressants don't necessarily ever 'stop working'.  

My advice: go to your doctor and find out what's making you tired.   What if it's not depression and meds not working at all?   Fatigue can also be caused by infection, perianal injury, asthma...a jillan things.   How are your iron and vitamin D levels, for example?   A lot of women feel tired due to this.

That 'some kind of yucky feeling' you can't put your finger on - sounds like that is something you haven't experienced before, and that means it may not be depression at all.

Don't assume it's depression - find out for sure.   Your health is nothing to play around with or guess about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN