Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Depression and Animals

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies

I am strongly thinking about getting a puppy within the next 3 months in hopes it will help me with depression. Have any of you done this? Did it work out for the best or did you regret it?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I haven't done this, but I have heard that animals are great for people with depression. i say go for it as long as you have the means to take care of it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Thanks. I've done a little research and read that it can help a lot. I was just wondering if I could get some feedback from those who has actually done it.  

Quoting ashleighmama:

I haven't done this, but I have heard that animals are great for people with depression. i say go for it as long as you have the means to take care of it.

darciegenito
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:40 PM

If you are able to take care of the animal and provide for it, I say go for it! Animals are the best thing for depression in my opinion.

Tracys2
by Gold Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

My cat helped me when I was struggling a few years back.

One thing is, I'd recommend adopting an older animal, perhaps a foster? They are very loyal, their temperament is known, and you feel great because they needed you. Puppies can be really stressful and keep you from getting proper sleep for months, which is'nt great for depression. My cats I got for my mother and I were rescues, and my particular cat was a foster. The foster was the best cat I've EVER known.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I think a smaller dog is easier to care and financially provide for than a larger dog. I'm looking foward to a small pooch that will get no larger than 15 lbs.

Quoting darciegenito:

If you are able to take care of the animal and provide for it, I say go for it! Animals are the best thing for depression in my opinion.

darciegenito
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Great idea! Also, cats work just as well as dogs.  They're very intune to a human's emotions.. just as much as a dog. They're also a little more independent and easier to care for if you have alot on your shoulders. I've had both.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think a smaller dog is easier to care and financially provide for than a larger dog. I'm looking foward to a small pooch that will get no larger than 15 lbs.

Quoting darciegenito:

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 4:59 PM
I got a cat because they are easier to take care of. If you get a dog make sure you are able to get out and walk it and stuff.
lucy164
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Animals rule!!!.  They help so much with depression.  I agree with tracys2 shelter animals are the best.  You will be saving a life.  A puppy is kind of a daunting job.  I so hope you get one.puppy

zboys
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:12 AM

I'm a first-time dog owner myself.  We never had any pets when we were growing up (except goldfish and guppies).  I'm glad I have Gonzo (our dog) to come home to and take for walks (when I can).  The ladies gave some good advice.  : )

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:14 AM
I got a cat. It helped so much for me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)