Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone heard of MAOIs?

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:35 PM
  • 8 Replies

These are strong, older antidepressants that can be tricky b/c you have dietary restrictions while taking them. They are good for treatment-resistant and atypical depression. My dr. started me one one a couple years ago but I had a bad reaction due to something I ate that interacted with it and gave me a raging migraine and racing heart (scary). I am, however, tempted to ask her about trying one again because I've read reviews from people who say it's the only thing that works for them. My fatigue is probably what they call "masked  depression" according to a psychologist friend of mine. I also have severe brain fog. I am on the highest dose of Cymbalta which worked for 6 months but these symptoms have returned and I'm at the end of my rope. We'll see what happens on Mon at my appointment...

by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I have heard of them, but never been on them due to the fact that they sound scary with the interactions with certain things that they have. I wish you the best!!!

weakestchimp
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:45 PM
i only take herbs & vitamins & just deal.
i hope you find help and that it will work.
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 2:12 PM

yes i have heard of those and i know there are alot of restrictions. i took imipramine and i think it was one and i got a terrible headache and had to stop. as long as you know your restrictions, i dont see where it would hurt. at this point i know you are willing to try anything. i hope it works for you.

lucy164
by Peggy on Nov. 14, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I was on one called nardil.  I wasn't on it long enough to tell if it helped.

momwriter
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Do you remember why you stopped taking it? Did you have a bad side effect?

Quoting lucy164:

I was on one called nardil.  I wasn't on it long enough to tell if it helped.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 5:12 PM
I've heard of them and just be careful with the restrictions. who knows it might help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rhodaj
by rho on Nov. 15, 2013 at 5:28 AM

I have heard of them but never been on them. Besides having to watch your diet you have to watch every other medication you are taking.Plus any ovc meds. 

lancet98
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Just follow the recommendations and you should be fine.   Many people take MAOI inhibitors.   They work very well for many people.

However, I totally disagree with allowing a psychologist to diagnose my chronic fatigue as 'masked depression'.   I'd get a physical, and PROVE that it's actually masked depression.    I can't even count the number of people who were told they had 'masked depression' when they actually had a chronic sinus infection, or a thyroid or estrogen problem.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)