Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

When did you tell him?

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 11:29 PM
  • 10 Replies
After meeting your husband/SO, when did you decide to tell him about your mental illness? How did you know it was okay to tell him? Did you experience and rejection from any former beaus? If so, how did you handle it?
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 3:24 AM
1 mom liked this

i didnt develope bmine until after i was married. he has always been supportive.

weakestchimp
by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 5:46 AM
i got married @ 19....1st time...thinking i could run...leave the horrors of childhood ...change didn't tell ... it didn't work
2nd time.....@ 25...didn't work
3rd time...@36...worked...finally told all the things those people did to me...all of them
i am almost 60 now & most of my life has been utter turmoil...despair..anger
but funny....to say....im not the one with the mental illness.........they are
the things that people did as with us all...will be judged one day..
i no longer look for justice here in world
i am not religious...i just know
i love you hun...i do
oh....i came back about that rejection thing
when people hear...or think they know what happened to you...most of them treat you bad...as if it gives them a license to do so.
yes...a lot of rejection...used...walked on
etc.
lucy164
by Peggy on Nov. 27, 2013 at 7:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I told him very early in our relationship.  I wanted him to expect my moodiness and all that.  He was very good about it.  He didn't want to stop seeing me for that.  I think that if you have a good feeling about your relationship you should let him know fairly early.  On the other hand if you think " this guy is kind of a jerk " don't mention it.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Nov. 27, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I told my bf pretty much when we first met last December. He seemed like he would be supportive, but I think we are actually going to break up because of it. 

jazi1105
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 3:05 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm pretty sure I told him around when we met/started dating. I learned from group therapy that there is nothing wrong with sharing your problems with others and that it usually helps for others to know. Since I have PTSD as well as depression and severe anxiety, I felt it was necessary to let him know that certain things trigger me because I was raped as a child and other abuses I endured. He was very understanding and has always been supportive of my mental illnesses.
Tracys2
by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I told him fairly early, I think. He has health problems too, of a different sort. Honestly, I don't remember how it came up in conversation. He has some mental illness in his friends and family, so probably through discussing that?

When I met him, I was on drugs and mostly in remission, I was in a group of what I thought were good friends and a perfect life. He was with me through a drug change, 3 pregnancies and a VERY unfortunate (short) time on birth control.We knew each other 2-3 years before we got married.

I've never "dated" anyone I didn't already know for months before, so they know what they're in for. I do get rejection, but it happens so much earlier in the friendship that it's not what you're looking for.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Well I met my husband in the hospital so we both knew about eachother from the get go.

gonecrazi
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 3:26 PM

We were together at the Doctor's office when we found out. He is super supportive.

captainjack
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Wasn't until 21 years later I got sick.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 29, 2013 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Depression is a mental illness??? I've told my so's when it felt like a comfortable time, usually when they share something private with me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)