Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

So Embarrassed...

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 2:46 AM
  • 14 Replies
This happened a week ago and I've been too embarrassed to tell anyone, even my husband...my therapist FELL ASLEEP while I was talking to him...he snapped back to attention pretty quickly, but still. It was very hard for me to seek help for my anxiety and depression and to open up to this person. I felt as though I was making progress and was really getting a lot out of our sessions. Now I just feel like an idiot. I knew I was boring, but really? I just feel so alone, like someone who is being paid to listen to me doesn't even want to!
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 2:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 29, 2013 at 3:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I am sorry your therapist fell asleep. It does not mean that you were boring. There are plenty of other reasons why he could have fallen asleep. Make sure to ask him why he fell asleep. Tell him that it's very hard for you to talk to him about your anxiety and depression if he's going to fall asleep. Tell him it made you feel like you were really boring and you thought you were getting a lot of out of the sessions. Make sure to be honest with him about how it made you feel. 

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 5:35 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I am sorry your therapist fell asleep. It does not mean that you were boring. There are plenty of other reasons why he could have fallen asleep. Make sure to ask him why he fell asleep. Tell him that it's very hard for you to talk to him about your anxiety and depression if he's going to fall asleep. Tell him it made you feel like you were really boring and you thought you were getting a lot of out of the sessions. Make sure to be honest with him about how it made you feel. 

i agree!

lucy164
by Peggy on Nov. 29, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

He should never fallen asleep while you were there and it was not because you were boring.

He was either very tired or maybe he takes a little too many anti anxiety meds.

I would give him one more chance but definately tell him how that made you feel.

zboys
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I went to a therapist that kept yawning when I was in the depths/throes of depression and I was a mess trying to talk to her.  Needless to say, I did not go back to her but found someone new.

The new therapist was/is 100% better!  She offers keen insight into my issues.  I think she copes with the yawns, etc. by taking a beverage into the session with her.  I don't mind 'cause I know it helps her to stay alert.

captainjack
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Get a new therapist.

la-cosa-nostra
by Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 3:33 PM

i wouldnt take it personally, maybe they are ill or experiencing their own problems that are causing them to lose sleep. i am sure it has nothing to do with what you were saying. but i would discuss it with them for sure! that was very negligent of them. 

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 4:30 PM
I would find a new therapist.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leahbeah143
by Leah on Nov. 29, 2013 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this

wow, did they offer any apology or explanation? that's unprofessional

rhodaj
by rho on Dec. 1, 2013 at 4:12 AM

I'm sorry that hapened to you. There is no excuse for that. I would brng it up to the office manager of him falling asleep durng your session. If he did it to you he probably has done it before.

Rosebud333776
by Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 5:37 PM
You dserve someone who is going to BE THERE and support you and help you. INATTENTIVE isn't even the word for his behavior.

Quoting captainjack:

Get a new therapist.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)