Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anxious about going to mechanic

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
Hi all. My anxiety is crazy and I hope some of you can relate.

My car is past due for a state safety inspection. It needed brakes and tires to pass and I finally got those but it also has the check engine light on so it can't pass with that either. Hopefully the codes can be cleared and I can drive it and it won't come back on and I will pass. That's what happened last year.

No big deal right? I wish! My anxiety is making me scared to even drive the car because I fear I'll be pulled over with my expired inspection sticker. I'm also anxious about even going to the shop with it expired. I don't want them to judge me. :(
And I'm scared that I'm looking at a costly repai that we can't afford. We already have one vehicle out of commission for a few months until we can affird the repair and I'm worried if this one doesn't pass how we will pay to fix it? We live paycheck to paycheck and sunk all our savings into replacing the roof on our home recently. I'm nervous that if it doesn't pass I'll have to keep driving it in fear of being pulled over or will have to borrow money from someone, I don't know who.

I know it sounds silly but the anxiety is crippling. Please send positive thoughts that I can get through it and that we somehow catch a break and get it to pass without spending a ton of money. Thanks!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PurpleCupcake
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:12 AM

When was the last time you did oil changes, anti freeze, that kind of thing? 

How far expired is your inspection inspection expired?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:29 AM
My husband does all that. It's a few months overdue.
leahbeah143
by Leah on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Have you gotten the check engine code checked to just find out why it's on? Maybe it's something simple?

lyrick24
by Group Admin on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:04 AM

i dont know of many cars that dont have the check engine light on. be sure you check the oil and the fluids to make sure they are ok. can your husband work on it some to get the light to go off. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Quoting leahbeah143:

Have you gotten the check engine code checked to just find out why it's on? Maybe it's something simple?

There are a whole bunch of codes that come up. We had a similar situation last year, but were able to clear the codes and drive it to reset it. Hoping the same thing happens this time. I'm there now, so I got up the nerve to at least take it in. Fingers crossed for a good outcome!

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting leahbeah143:

There are a whole bunch of codes that come up. We had a similar situation last year, but were able to clear the codes and drive it to reset it. Hoping the same thing happens this time. I'm there now, so I got up the nerve to at least take it in. Fingers crossed for a good outcome!

I hope everything goes ok!

lucy164
by Peggy on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:49 PM

The mechanics won't judge you.  One time I was 3 months late getting my sticker.  I'm lucky that I didn't get stopped but no one at the garage said anything.  Sending you positive thoughts.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:28 PM
2 moms liked this
Thank goodness for good news and dumb luck! Codes cleared and after everything I only spent $80! I feel so much better now! Thanks for your support everyone.
Serenity7
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:16 PM

You will be ok

zboys
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 5:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad you got it worked out!  Your situation sounds very similar to mine.  We have several issues going on with the house and multiple cars at the same time, all the while living paycheck to paycheck.  Things will get better for both of us.  : )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)