Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Do you think the goverment or the state provides enough info about mental health?

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 2:05 AM
rho
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this

I think they maybe getting better but  not that good. Not until my last time in the hospital did I know about NAMI a non profit group for people and there family or friends to learn more. When I said something to my psych dr about them he had never heard of them and they are all over the United States. The same way as a lot of other places are that we don't know about.

by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 2:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

i haven't relied on the gov. or the state to educate me about mental illness so i dont know if they provide enough information or not. i didnt hear about nami through them but i dont use it because we do not have it in our area. so i have educated myself through the internet and through my friends who also have bipolar. it would be good if they put out a pamphlet in the drs offices and hospitals of the things that they offer.

Tracys2
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Yes- I went to the doctor and asked for a diagnosis, but for all the doctors I've seen (several) over the years, in however many states, I've never had anyone tell me about state/local programs. I knew about depression from newspapers and early internet, and that's how I'd find out about local services BUT it's not as easy as it could be. I've never found local depression groups by googling, and if there ARE services in the area, it'd be great if there were a pamphlet or a website with that info available. Ideally a pamphlet at least for people without internet access

gonecrazi
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:21 AM

I think my state is getting better. There have been a lot of stories on the news about where to go for help.

lucy164
by Peggy on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I have heard of NAMI and found out where they had group therapy near my home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:06 AM
2 moms liked this

I also dont think they provide near enough support for people that are on state healthcare with mental issues. I have 2 stories about this.

When I was in the hospital in the psych ward, patients with government insurance were being turned out as soon as their mandatory 3 days was up, people with private insurance-were deemed that they should stay longer.

Last time I went to court, there was a man there that was found guilty of maybe molestation or something and had diagnosed mental issues, a rep. from the hospital was there who was just there to testify that the patient was fiiiine to be out in the real world, obviously he has no insurance or government insurance, when the judge asked him things about what he would do if he left the hospital/mental health lock up, he didnt have great answers, because it was obvious to me, even from just seeing this few minutes of interaction that the guy was NOT okay to be around the public.

jazi1105
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 6:01 PM
No. I haven't seen anything regarding mental health here
rhodaj
by rho on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:18 PM

yes our country is one of the worse on mental illness.  

Quoting Anonymous:

I also dont think they provide near enough support for people that are on state healthcare with mental issues. I have 2 stories about this.

When I was in the hospital in the psych ward, patients with government insurance were being turned out as soon as their mandatory 3 days was up, people with private insurance-were deemed that they should stay longer.

Last time I went to court, there was a man there that was found guilty of maybe molestation or something and had diagnosed mental issues, a rep. from the hospital was there who was just there to testify that the patient was fiiiine to be out in the real world, obviously he has no insurance or government insurance, when the judge asked him things about what he would do if he left the hospital/mental health lock up, he didnt have great answers, because it was obvious to me, even from just seeing this few minutes of interaction that the guy was NOT okay to be around the public.

dancingthrulife
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:00 AM

no i dont. but to much infor ppl stop paying attention..

lancet98
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I cannot imagine a good many people here would approve of the federal government educating people on mental health or illness, since they're so convinced everything the feds do is some kind of frikkin conspiracy, lol.   They'd rather beat their chests about how messed up everything is than learn something.

A lot of the responsibility for education falls to the businesses (hospitals, etc) or to the individual.   Look how well that's worked out.

Personally I think mental health education should be a part of the school curriculum from a very early age.

I also think a mental health screening should be given every year in college, because that's a time when most mental illnesses emerge.

luvmia
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 5:40 PM
Many people dont know about NAMI. The govn. also does not give a lot of support either. One time I called the local govn. clinic to try to get help for my depression. I was told by a lady employee that everyone gets depressed and just can talk to a friend. So I said to her, "Okay. So how about I slit my wrists and then call back. Will I be able to get some help then?" Smh. Stupid bitch.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN