Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Teen smoking for anxiety

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
We all know how bad smoking is for us, but my 15 year old has started smoking cigarettes and it has been a big help in reducing her panic attacks. I had never heard of this before but it has worked for her. Her therapist says that it does help some individuals but not all. Anyone experienced this?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 22, 2014 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
srltb143
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 3:08 PM

I am a smoker and have been since right before I turned 15.  When I am stressed out or suffering from bad anxiety, I smoke a lot more.  Speaking from experience, you should really try to help her find something different that helps and try getting her away from smoking.  I hate that I smoke......it's a really nasty habit, and its unhealthy, and it is SOOOOOO  hard to quit....

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 3:17 PM
I'm a smoker and I wish I never started. I smoke more when I'm stressed but it doesn't help relieve the stress. there are so many bad health effects to smoking. please urge her to quit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Feb. 22, 2014 at 3:26 PM

I am 42, and I have smoked for about 20 years, i have depression and anxiety since I was 16. I will say it definitely does help, but I'm not so sure I would want my kid to smoke, especially if he/she is only a teen. I wish so much for health reasons and money reasons that I had never even started.

mikala76
by Michelle on Feb. 22, 2014 at 4:31 PM
I'm a smoker, and it has helped my anxiety and panic attacks, but please squash this now with your dd. I HATE that i smoke. I wish i never started.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 22, 2014 at 5:22 PM
As most of us who are smokers know, once you get hooked its almost impossible to quit whether we are 15 or 50. I wish she had never started but now I just have to accept it and realize it does help with the anxiety.
srltb143
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 5:46 PM

No...I disagree. You do NOT have to just accept it.  You are her mother....she is still only 15 years old.  You could be trying to find other ways for her to cope with the anxiety....not allowing her to continue doing something that can cause so much troube for her when she gets older....this is your child's health!  I quit when I was 15..,,, I made a choice to start back at 17, and it wasn't because I was hooked, it was because I was young and stupid and wanted to.  I am not trying to be rude or anything....please don't think that I am.  But you really need to stop this.  If you are a smoker you should know how bad it is...you shouldn't want your dd to go down that road.  And yes, it is easier to stop at 15 than at 50.

Quoting Anonymouss,: As most of us who are smokers know, once you get hooked its almost impossible to quit whether we are 15 or 50. I wish she had never started but now I just have to accept it and realize it does help with the anxiety.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Feb. 22, 2014 at 5:54 PM
I started smoking at 17, and like everybody else I wish I never started!
MommyO2-6631
by on Feb. 22, 2014 at 5:56 PM
I have noticed that since I stopped smoking my depression and anxiety have gotten worse. It still won't make me start back.
lucy164
by Peggy on Feb. 22, 2014 at 6:29 PM

I also wish I had never started.

srltb143
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL......does anybody see a patern here????  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)