Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

too much xanax :/

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 2:22 AM
  • 13 Replies

I've been taking 1mg of xanax xr a night for awhile now and my dr recently increased it to add 0.5mg in the morning. Well, the office faxed my rx over to the pharmacy and I picked it up and brought it home. When I went to take it that night I realized that it was 2mg tabs instead of 0.5mg tabs but I just thought that my dr decided to increase it more, you know? I took 4mg (2 tabs) for a couple of nights and it was awful :( I slept all night and all day and I was basically high  and now I feel like I'm probably going through withdrawals since I had to decrease it again. I'm back to 1.5mg a day. I called my PA about it and she was NOT happy. The pharmacy had to write it up and got in trouble.

So the moral of my story is this; always double check your dosage!

by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 2:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:36 AM
1 mom liked this

a lot of times pharmacies make mistakes. its good that you checked it.

Lil_MissFaye
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:53 AM

I've heard that from other people too. I didn't realize it happened so often, it's a scary thought!

fudgybuddymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:09 AM

Absolutely! Once many yrs ago;I was on Desyrel & the pharmacy gave me an antihypertensive instead. Both pills looked alike but the effect of the antihypertensive was to make me fee homicidal! Well I called the pharmacist & he admitted his mistake(it was a small private pharmacy)& thanked me profusely for NOT reporting his mistake. PS I did not kill anyone!

marie85
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:14 AM

I'm happy your ok :( damn they shouldn't be making mistakes lik that. But yes always check.

momwriter
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:40 AM

That's scary!

SpiritFortress
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:42 AM

That's a good thing to remember. I once had a dystonic reaction to a med that had been dosed too high. Like you, I just thought that's what I was supposed to be taking and took it. The reaction I had won't kill a person but as I lay in the ER it sure felt like I was dying! 

I hope you feel better soon!

leahbeah143
by Leah on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:29 AM

wow! it's scary that we're supposed to just trust what they give us! I'm glad you spoke up though and got it fixed!

lucy164
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Once I was given heart medicine instead of my antidepressant.  I caught it in time.  I didn't report it because I did not know who I would contact.

Memere60
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

My pharmacist of 7 years just quit her job at a very well known drug store. She had to because they cut back the help on her, and she told me she was afraid she was going to accidently kill someone. I followed her to her new job at a smaller (not well known) pharmacy. 

deltathree
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

CVS makes mistakes all the time!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)