Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Giving In...

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:53 PM
  • 13 Replies

I'm new to this group and just looking for some encouragement. 

Before trying to conceive I was on meds for anxiety, depression, and insomnia.  I got off all meds in order to get pregnant.  My daughter is now 4.5 months old and I'm giving in.  I go to the doctor tomorrow to get back on something.  I can't decide what I'm more depressed about.  My life, or the fact that I'm getting back on meds.  Depending on what she puts me on I might have to stop breastfeeding too.   I just feel like such a failure but I can't keep hating my life.  I feel like my depression is ruining my job, my home, and my marriage.  I can't keep being this miserable. 

Do any mom's have any advice for this kind of thing? 

by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mackiesgg
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:22 PM

My greatgrandgirl is 4.5 monthes old and her mom decided against breastfeeding because she felt she needed the meds to be able to start coping again.Just know that you will be helping her as well as you if you need the meds. Stopping the breastfeeding may be a small payment in the long run. My dil breastfed for as long as she could before she had to go back to work. Breastfeeding of any length is beneficial. Don't hate yourself you have given your baby a lot.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Mar. 3, 2014 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't feel bad about needing meds!
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 5:01 PM

its ok. sometimes we have to get back on meds so we can be the best person we can be. dont feel bad about it. im sure you are a wonderful mother.

lucy164
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Why do you think of yourself as a failure because of something that you have no control over?  I have depression and anxiety and take meds for it but I don't feel that I am a failure at all.  Get back on the right meds and you will feel better.  I'm wondering if you might have some post partum issues.

Eternity807
by New Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 7:09 PM

I know part of it has always been there and part of it is post partum. My family just judges a lot and thinks should be happy with out meds even when I've proven I can't. 

Quoting lucy164:

Why do you think of yourself as a failure because of something that you have no control over?  I have depression and anxiety and take meds for it but I don't feel that I am a failure at all.  Get back on the right meds and you will feel better.  I'm wondering if you might have some post partum issues.

AbbysMommie624
by New Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Don't feel bad. I was able to get off of everything when I was pregnant, stayed on Wellbutrin my last trimester. Wasn't able to breast feed so at like 6 weeks I went back on something stronger.  My daughter is now almost 3 and I'm still on meds. Life is hard. No one understands what it's like unless they too take medication and fight depression.mit doesn't make you a bad mom.  You'd be a bad mom if you didn't give in and get help and would just stay depressed. Good luck :)

tnunley
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Very few meds are unsafe while breastfeeding... I would ask the ladies in the breastfeeding group what needs are safe while nursing!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

KyahZia
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 7:18 AM
1 mom liked this
So so true!!
Quoting AbbysMommie624:

Don't feel bad. I was able to get off of everything when I was pregnant, stayed on Wellbutrin my last trimester. Wasn't able to breast feed so at like 6 weeks I went back on something stronger.  My daughter is now almost 3 and I'm still on meds. Life is hard. No one understands what it's like unless they too take medication and fight depression.mit doesn't make you a bad mom.  You'd be a bad mom if you didn't give in and get help and would just stay depressed. Good luck :)

Eternity807
by New Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I did ask and I got a number to call to find out what meds are safe.  I'm going to talk to my doctor and see what she recommends and then call.  I know Zoloft is a big one that is for PPD and safe while breastfeeding.

Quoting tnunley: Very few meds are unsafe while breastfeeding... I would ask the ladies in the breastfeeding group what needs are safe while nursing!

Memere60
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Go to the doctor, take the meds he/she prescribes, and stop breast feeding if you have to. I was very sick during my pregnancy, had a preemie daughter, and could not breast feed because of the medicine I was on. She is 31, you would never know she was a preemie, she is married with a wonderful husband and two beautiful children, and I am very grateful. You are not a failure! Please just take care of yourself, and DO NOT worry about what others might think of you!!!! woohoogoodblowing kisseshugs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)