Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Magnesium

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:10 AM
  • 16 Replies

Has anybody heard of taking this to help with sleep problems? I just read that magnesium deficiencies can cause you to wake up in the night.

by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucy164
by Peggy on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:20 AM

I never knew that.  How many mgs should I take?

leahbeah143
by Leah on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Quoting lucy164:

I never knew that.  How many mgs should I take?

I'm trying to find out. From what I can tell there is pill form, oil form that you rub on your body, and I guess you can take Epsom salt baths.

deltathree
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:53 AM

nvr heard this.....

Mackiesgg
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Never heard of this but please let us know what you find out.

momwriter
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Yes I have. I take it and not sure if it helps but I try everything for sleep!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:20 PM
You can also buy it in flavored power form. I add some to my smoothies. It is also a natural muscle relaxant. Great for PMS. Careful not to add to much to your diet at once. It can really clean out your system if you know what I mean ;)
PinkButterfly66
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:26 PM

There are many forms of magnesium.  Not all are well absorbed by the body.  Magnesium hydroxide and magnesium oxide are poorly absorbed and often in antacides and laxatives.  Chelated magnesium -- magnesium citrate is a little better absorbed, magnesium gluconate and glycinate is the best absorbed.  It is best to take it 2-3 times a day in divided doses because your body can only absorb so much at one time.  Magnesium chloride aka magnesium oil can be put in the bath or sprayed on the body to be absorbed transdermally.  Magnesium chloride is very well absorbed this way.  Coconut water is a good source of magnesium and potassium for those of you who deal with muscle cramps and spasms.  Swansonvitamins.com  has magnesium oil and magnesium flakes for a really good price.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 7:16 PM

I used magnesium citrate for chronic pain and it helped. I was sleeping at night too.

happyolechimp
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 8:11 PM
I take magnesium /chelated zinc...400 mg..3 times a week for muscle cramps...didn't know about the sleep..thanx
leahbeah143
by Leah on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:21 PM
Thank you for all the info!!

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

There are many forms of magnesium.  Not all are well absorbed by the body.  Magnesium hydroxide and magnesium oxide are poorly absorbed and often in antacides and laxatives.  Chelated magnesium -- magnesium citrate is a little better absorbed, magnesium gluconate and glycinate is the best absorbed.  It is best to take it 2-3 times a day in divided doses because your body can only absorb so much at one time.  Magnesium chloride aka magnesium oil can be put in the bath or sprayed on the body to be absorbed transdermally.  Magnesium chloride is very well absorbed this way.  Coconut water is a good source of magnesium and potassium for those of you who deal with muscle cramps and spasms.  Swansonvitamins.com  has magnesium oil and magnesium flakes for a really good price.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)