Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Starting counseling Monday

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 4:53 PM
  • 17 Replies
This is my first experience with counseling. Have you gone? How did it go?
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leahbeah143
by Leah on Jun. 15, 2014 at 5:13 PM
I went years ago, and it helped. My daughter is seeing one now that I will start seeing while she's at her dad's for the summer
ambergem
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 5:25 PM
How did it help you? Talking through things or learning to cope? I feel like I have a log of present and past issues to deal with.

Quoting leahbeah143: I went years ago, and it helped. My daughter is seeing one now that I will start seeing while she's at her dad's for the summer
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Be picky. It can be frustrating and a total waste of money if you don't get anything out of it. Don't be intimidated to be honest if you don't feel right and wish to see someone else after the first one. Ask the questions in your first meeting as to how you know if it's a "right fit." He or she will know what you mean and should help you with it.

ambergem
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 5:31 PM
Will do. I think I have been pretty picky finding this one. I hope it works out but thanks I will look right away again if it doesn't fit. She said the first 30 min are a free session to see. Do you think that's enough time to tell? I will switch if at any point it doesn't tho. I have a lot of options thru insurance.

Quoting Kathy489:

Be picky. It can be frustrating and a total waste of money if you don't get anything out of it. Don't be intimidated to be honest if you don't feel right and wish to see someone else after the first one. Ask the questions in your first meeting as to how you know if it's a "right fit." He or she will know what you mean and should help you with it.

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 5:58 PM

30 minutes would be a good start, but it's hard to tell. I felt good when I went for the first time just because I finally felt like I had broken the ice, so to speak, but then it fizzled out. You might not know the first time, but time will tell.

Quoting ambergem: Will do. I think I have been pretty picky finding this one. I hope it works out but thanks I will look right away again if it doesn't fit. She said the first 30 min are a free session to see. Do you think that's enough time to tell? I will switch if at any point it doesn't tho. I have a lot of options thru insurance.
Quoting Kathy489:

ambergem
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Good point.  Thanks for sharing.

Quoting Kathy489:

30 minutes would be a good start, but it's hard to tell. I felt good when I went for the first time just because I finally felt like I had broken the ice, so to speak, but then it fizzled out. You might not know the first time, but time will tell.

Quoting ambergem: Will do. I think I have been pretty picky finding this one. I hope it works out but thanks I will look right away again if it doesn't fit. She said the first 30 min are a free session to see. Do you think that's enough time to tell? I will switch if at any point it doesn't tho. I have a lot of options thru insurance.
Quoting Kathy489:

“Mothers are all slightly insane.”
― J.D. SalingerThe Catcher in the Rye

going crazy

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jun. 15, 2014 at 6:18 PM
Both talking through things and learning to cope

Quoting ambergem: How did it help you? Talking through things or learning to cope? I feel like I have a log of present and past issues to deal with.

Quoting leahbeah143: I went years ago, and it helped. My daughter is seeing one now that I will start seeing while she's at her dad's for the summer
ambergem
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 6:21 PM

How did the talking through process go?

Quoting leahbeah143: Both talking through things and learning to cope
Quoting ambergem: How did it help you? Talking through things or learning to cope? I feel like I have a log of present and past issues to deal with.

“Mothers are all slightly insane.”
― J.D. SalingerThe Catcher in the Rye

going crazy

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jun. 15, 2014 at 7:09 PM
It was a lot of her asking me about my past. I was there for panic attacks, she had me pick up a work book that we worked on together. I'm more looking forward to working with the Dr I found for my daughter because I think she's a better fit.

Quoting ambergem:

How did the talking through process go?

Quoting leahbeah143: Both talking through things and learning to cope

rhodaj
by rho on Jun. 16, 2014 at 4:05 AM

I hve went and I only stopped because of insurance. I can't wait to go back. The only advise I can give to you is you need to be comfortable with him/her 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)