Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Any suggestion of how to keep kids busy during the summer

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 5:04 AM
rho
  • 19 Replies

Since I watch my grandchildren all the time I am trying to find little things to keep them busy.

They range from 12 to 1. We have taken my 10 year old on some little trips with us.

My oldest one is in Alabama with my son but I still don't know what to do with the soon to be 8 year old and the 1 year old. We don't have anything to do here. They said they reopened Mother Goose Land here but I can't find where it is. I know the 8 and 1 year old would like that. The 1 year old loves animals

by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 5:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marney.p
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 6:59 AM

A large tub

2-3 bags of salt

food dye. different colours.

Die the salt and let the kids make salt paintings.  Eg a large butterfly.

They love it. And when it is finished they will mix it around and it will become brown. So get leaves and bark and do a nature tub. Can add little people or little cars. For different themes. They can make houses etc.

rhodaj
by rho on Jun. 16, 2014 at 8:26 AM

Thanks

Quoting marney.p:

A large tub

2-3 bags of salt

food dye. different colours.

Die the salt and let the kids make salt paintings.  Eg a large butterfly.

They love it. And when it is finished they will mix it around and it will become brown. So get leaves and bark and do a nature tub. Can add little people or little cars. For different themes. They can make houses etc.

swbetterhalf
by New Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 8:36 AM

My suggestion is to find crafts that the older grandchildren  can do you can find easy craft ideas on the computer type in craft for kids. Coloring pages is fun for kids. For the 1 year old you could make toys for him or her out of things around your house life an empty coffe container or other containers and put rice or some other dry food that will make noise when it is shaken. Simple things like that will keep them busy while they are in the house. I hope my suggestions will help you.

Tracys2
by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 8:54 AM

We went to AC Moore and bought tons of $1 crafts and paint and sparkly markers and stuff.

So far, the best things we've found are:

-Paints (washable, both watercolor and the tubs of finger-paint). Cheap, messy but special enough and the kids love it

-Perler beads. Everybody from age 5 up loves them, and they aren't expensive. The only issue is cleaning up spilled beads. You iron them to make plastic shapes. I made a couple HUGE shapes with the kids, and they loved that. My son has one of them on his wall <3. The nice thing about this, is they can do it for a long time at once, and if you are down, they do this by themselves really well.

-Cooking. We aren't really old enough for the part where they plan what to eat (my son is, but he doesn't care) and research online, but they do like to help, and this is a longer activity.

-Squirting- even if you don't like guns, you can get $1 spray bottles

-Balloon games- if the weather is hot, air quality is red, or raining, you can blow up balloons (entertains my kids) and then play balloon volleyball or soccer

-Splash pads- We have 2 or 3 locally that cost $1 per kid. Bring a picnic. Strangely, all the local ones here have kiddie trains or similar around, so there is a most-of-the-day thing and it's super-cheap. That's nice because all the kids, even the 1 and 10 year old, will enjoy a splash pad. We like pools also, but that's hard with lots of non-swimmers. This is appropriate for all

I'll think of more. Kid on lap.u

-

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 9:10 AM

take the kids outside and turn the water hose on and use a sprinkler if you have one and let them run through it. you could get a small pool for the little ones. mine love to do this.

Tracys2
by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 9:26 AM

-Making a book. This is all about who gets along. An older child (my 7 year old will do this) can draw pics and words of a story (you can give ideas if you want) and read it to the younger ones. Again, a nice long activity, and helps them with school because they are remembering schooly stuff.

-Our mall has one of those toddler playgrounds for bad weather, that will entertain anyone about ages 6 and under. If you have a book or DS for the older ones, you can get everyone there for an hour, then walk the mall (if you're brave!) and you can get snacks/lunch, candy or go somewhere fun (lego store) for the older kids, if they behave with the younger.

-Park scavenger hunt. I've seen lists posted online, but things like pinecones, leaves of a certain type, flowers of a color, sparkly rocks... whatever. This can happen in the house, too.

-Geocaching- My friend did this with her then-7 year old and said it was fun. You have to have a GPS though, but your cell phone can probably do that if you have a smartphone. It gets them outside but not too demanding. You search for several locations by GPS location, and she said some of them, you have to pretend to be a spy and hunt them down in public without people noticing. He loved it! You have to google geocaching for your local areas, and the places you can go to start your search will show up. This is really good for them with numbers (so is cooking- don't tell them!)

-Science- we've done those science kits, but there are loads of things to google kid science, making oobleck (part liquid, part solid) or your own playdoh (your kids are a bit old for that), food dye carnations, all that stuff. There is a ton out there now. Your kids would be a great age to buy some crayons and do crayon-melting art. Crayons and wax paper are super-cheap, and it turns out pretty

andrea0314
by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 9:39 AM
i look on pinterest and theres tons of ideas on there. activities and crafts. maybe you can check on there?
flowrsgalore
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:20 AM

My mother sent me a link to a college that is ~1.5 hours away. man if it were closer we'd definitely be trying some of the things out.  They had a big list of classes outing,  type things. It was set up with varying age groups. Some were pricey others were not. Check your community college pages if they offer such things, it lokked really good.  We have a very small tech center in my town & the offerings were scant.  Last year we did a goat camp thing, & they have a conservation day camp, cost was reasonable.

I need to get my daughter knowing the neighbor kids.   She really only recognizes one & she is 2 years older, but I know there are kids with in bike riding distance.

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:57 AM

make water balloons and put them in a basket and let them have at it. my kids love this.

WatchmansMoon
by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:59 AM

There's a fun "Summer Celebration" article series that has some great family fun ideas at http://bit.ly/1iBtbAF.  One of the best ideas (seems obvious but isn't always thought of) is to ask each child what activity they'd most like to do as a family.  Of course, their ideas may be over-the-top or prohibitively expensive without a little creative modification on your part, but you might be surprised at the ideas they come up with.  If they're stumped, ask them what their favorite past summer memories are, and go from there. 

~ Seek the Light ~
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN