Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

How to handle situation depression?

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 7:21 AM
  • 13 Replies

I'm not depressed but I am bummed I guess you could call it. Last night and today all I want to do is cry and I don't even want to workout today! I normally workout for hours 6-7 days a week, I LOVE working out. I say I'm not depressed because I'm on Sam-E for that and this is just because of life events. (I lost a friendship, my husband applied for a job out of state and I don't want to move, and we have a very stressful family trip in 11 days)

Growing up always depressed I never really learned how to deal with temperary depression. I've only felt thing way since last night so it's not like it's been weeks or anything but how do I snap out of this?

by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 7:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Memere60
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 7:39 AM

I think all three of those things would cause me to feel depressed and stressed out. When my mentally ill SIL had to move in with us, I went to a therapist, who told me that I had situational depression. I couldn't snap out of it. The only thing that got me back on track, was when we were able to get her into a good facility nearby. Now I have the peace and quiet in my house again, and I can still be there for my sister in law. So sorry about the lost friendship. Care to share about that? Sometimes it helps. hugging

3kidz123
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:01 AM

It was an unhealthy co-dependent relationship that was causing trouble in my marriage. I've know for a long time that i needed to let this person go but knowing it's right doesn't make loosing someone you love any easier. My husband finaly got sick of it and told me it had to stop...which it really did but loosing that AND having to move which means moving away from my father feels like I'm loosing everyone I care about. I know in my mind it will be fine but in my heart it hurts and I'm sad. It just sucks....right or wrong it still sucks!

Quoting Memere60:

I think all three of those things would cause me to feel depressed and stressed out. When my mentally ill SIL had to move in with us, I went to a therapist, who told me that I had situational depression. I couldn't snap out of it. The only thing that got me back on track, was when we were able to get her into a good facility nearby. Now I have the peace and quiet in my house again, and I can still be there for my sister in law. So sorry about the lost friendship. Care to share about that? Sometimes it helps. hugging

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:42 AM

situational depression is something we have to change ourselves. if something is bothering  you talk it over with your husband about moving. maybe after the move you will feel better.  try to eliminate the stressors that you are going to have on your trip by changing things a little if you can. i  have situational depression also because i get so lonely during the days when my husband is gone to work. i know its hard to deal with and some things just cant be changed. we have to learn to work around them.

3kidz123
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:56 AM

True...all very true.

I geuss I'm still in this sucks mode. Maby after a few days I'll feel better, it's a lot at once and I think that is part of why I'm so sad. I don't do well with change so 3 big things at once has kind of knocked me on my butt.

Quoting lyrick24:

situational depression is something we have to change ourselves. if something is bothering  you talk it over with your husband about moving. maybe after the move you will feel better.  try to eliminate the stressors that you are going to have on your trip by changing things a little if you can. i  have situational depression also because i get so lonely during the days when my husband is gone to work. i know its hard to deal with and some things just cant be changed. we have to learn to work around them.

lucy164
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:08 AM

First of all there is no way to just snap out of depression.  If it is really situational depression, as soon as your problems are resolved it will go away by itself.  Since you have a history of depression I am wondering if SAM e is really stabilizing your mood.  If it is, great!  You are so smart to do all that exercise.  It's the best thing for you.  So Hugs and love and cheer up soon.

MissMackiesgg
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

You are allowed to grieve the loss of everything you mentioned. It will get easier but it will take time to get there.  {{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}

buckle
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:10 PM

I am also dealing with situational depression.  Only in my case, I would love to move, as would dh too.  But we seem to be stuck here for now.  Moving is an adventure! 

Serenity7
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:53 PM

You can talk to your husband about. How you feel about moving

3kidz123
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Yeah moving would be fun...it's a move from NY to Maine but it means leaving family I don't want to leave. My father lives in NY and I just hate to not be near him. Plus it's a huge change and moving is a pain. lol

Quoting buckle:

I am also dealing with situational depression.  Only in my case, I would love to move, as would dh too.  But we seem to be stuck here for now.  Moving is an adventure! 

buckle
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 6:48 PM

It can be a huge pain, that's for sure.  I'm assuming this is a good job for dh.  I understand about being further from your father. 

Quoting 3kidz123:

Yeah moving would be fun...it's a move from NY to Maine but it means leaving family I don't want to leave. My father lives in NY and I just hate to not be near him. Plus it's a huge change and moving is a pain. lol

Quoting buckle:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)