Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Part Time Depression?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
Is this possible?
When I don't have my step son, life is good, not perfect but, I don't have anxiety and I'm not crying .
A day before "pick up", I begin dreading what is coming!
I "get through"some days, but usually by the end of the week, I'm sorry, but I wish he were going back to other house.
By the end of the week, his behavior is worse-very bossy! Very loud! He has no chores. Takes over everything! I have raised my kids to adults. They would have not been allowed to have such behavior.

I just feel like a prisoner in my own home. Its horrible.
I want to enjoy my later years. Not to be ruled ny a 9 yr old.

I cry. Don't want to even get out of bed to face the day. Feel nausea when I watch him with my dh.. I never known such a feeling of no control for my own life and an adult allowing a child to take over.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lyrick24
by Group Admin on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:45 AM
2 moms liked this

what you have is situational depression.it is based on the situation you are in. I have it alot also because when my husband is at work and I'm by myself I get so lonely. When he is at home I feel fine. I would talk with your dh and let him know how this nine year old is making you feel and set down some rules together before this gets any worse.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:53 AM

I'm sorry to hear it's so much trouble. You should really take yourself to a counsoler. Part time depression is not a real thing, but if you can pinpint what makes you feel depressed i dont htink it's depression i thinkit's a problem. Your DSS should not be bossing you around. You should not feel worn out by him. Take this to a therapist and then maybe one day you can bring your SS into your therapist and he can talk to someone. Sounds like he could use someone to talk to. Has your DH tried talking to his son?

lucy164
by Peggy on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Why does it make you nauseous when you see them together?  A little jealousy or just because he is an obnoxious little kid?  Does he stay with you just on weekends?  Maybe you could make plans to get yourself out of the house.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Have you talked to your dh about this?
MissMackiesgg
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Why does your husband allow him to act this way? He is the same sex role model and it doesn't look like the model is doing so good.

fern624
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous: Is this possible? When I don't have my step son, life is good, not perfect but, I don't have anxiety and I'm not crying . A day before "pick up", I begin dreading what is coming! I "get through"some days, but usually by the end of the week, I'm sorry, but I wish he were going back to other house. By the end of the week, his behavior is worse-very bossy! Very loud! He has no chores. Takes over everything! I have raised my kids to adults. They would have not been allowed to have such behavior. I just feel like a prisoner in my own home. Its horrible. I want to enjoy my later years. Not to be ruled ny a 9 yr old. I cry. Don't want to even get out of bed to face the day. Feel nausea when I watch him with my dh.. I never known such a feeling of no control for my own life and an adult allowing a child to take over.

I know how you feel first hand...I have a 7yr old grandson and I just hate the way he talks and he acts like a little jack***...All I do when he comes around is stay in bed I'm a prisoner to my own home in  my room...He is gone for the summer to TX to see his Aunt Stephanie...Its all because Mom & Dad & grandpa can't say NO and stand behind it boy does he have the buff on them me I see right through it he is pretty good around me...He doesn't get the disapline that he needs at home so he is a living terror!!...Not sure I can help you out or not but maybe we can together come up with some coping rules...(HUGS)fern

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:51 PM
Thanks for sharing that with me. Its the fact that he just strolls in and Takes over. The bossiness is very very hard to take. I don't know how much of that can be changed since he's been allowed to be this way all of his life with his dad and bm.

If he were more pleasant, not bossy and ,"respectful" would be totally different!

Quoting fern624:

Quoting Anonymous: Is this possible? When I don't have my step son, life is good, not perfect but, I don't have anxiety and I'm not crying . A day before "pick up", I begin dreading what is coming! I "get through"some days, but usually by the end of the week, I'm sorry, but I wish he were going back to other house. By the end of the week, his behavior is worse-very bossy! Very loud! He has no chores. Takes over everything! I have raised my kids to adults. They would have not been allowed to have such behavior. I just feel like a prisoner in my own home. Its horrible. I want to enjoy my later years. Not to be ruled ny a 9 yr old. I cry. Don't want to even get out of bed to face the day. Feel nausea when I watch him with my dh.. I never known such a feeling of no control for my own life and an adult allowing a child to take over.

I know how you feel first hand...I have a 7yr old grandson and I just hate the way he talks and he acts like a little jack***...All I do when he comes around is stay in bed I'm a prisoner to my own home in  my room...He is gone for the summer to TX to see his Aunt Stephanie...Its all because Mom & Dad & grandpa can't say NO and stand behind it boy does he have the buff on them me I see right through it he is pretty good around me...He doesn't get the disapline that he needs at home so he is a living terror!!...Not sure I can help you out or not but maybe we can together come up with some coping rules...(HUGS)fern

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:53 PM
Yes. Over and over again. He just doesn't see it or chooses not to see it. Its Disney land parenting when he's here.

Quoting leahbeah143: Have you talked to your dh about this?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Yes. Over and over again. He just doesn't see it or chooses not to see it. Its Disney land parenting when he's here.

Quoting leahbeah143: Have you talked to your dh about this?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:59 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, I don't want to deal with this anxiety when he is here.

He is a very happy kid who actually has it pretty good. Better than most kids that don't come from a split situation. But, he thinks he's the leader of the pack when he's here.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry to hear it's so much trouble. You should really take yourself to a counsoler. Part time depression is not a real thing, but if you can pinpint what makes you feel depressed i dont htink it's depression i thinkit's a problem. Your DSS should not be bossing you around. You should not feel worn out by him. Take this to a therapist and then maybe one day you can bring your SS into your therapist and he can talk to someone. Sounds like he could use someone to talk to. Has your DH tried talking to his son?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)