Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Do you " toot your own horn " ?

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2014 at 2:05 PM
  • 25 Replies

Or are you like me and just hope that someone will recognize that you are a good friend or worker, wife or mom?

I recently read that narcissists make more money than other people because they think that they are the best and make sure their employers know about it.

What do you think?

by on Jul. 13, 2014 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leahbeah143
by Leah on Jul. 13, 2014 at 8:39 PM

I'm not very good at "tooting my own horn" 

Tracys2
by on Jul. 13, 2014 at 9:22 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm terrible at that, but I really was a very good employee, and fortunate enough to have bosses that could see what I was doing and be impressed with it, even when I was frustrated that I wasn't doing more!

Narcissists and smug people annoy me at work. I would always find the quiet, competent person and tell the boss about how wonderful she was. It was a small company, and that was the best thing about it. My co-workers were FABULOUS and the "right" people almost alwyas got recognition <3

lucy164
by Peggy on Jul. 14, 2014 at 4:43 PM

I'm glad that your employers do notice when you do a good job.  I have no use for narcissists my mother is a toxic one.

Quoting Tracys2:

I'm terrible at that, but I really was a very good employee, and fortunate enough to have bosses that could see what I was doing and be impressed with it, even when I was frustrated that I wasn't doing more!

Narcissists and smug people annoy me at work. I would always find the quiet, competent person and tell the boss about how wonderful she was. It was a small company, and that was the best thing about it. My co-workers were FABULOUS and the "right" people almost alwyas got recognition <3

amberlavine
by Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 1:02 AM

I am a waiter. I try so hard and then when it goes unrecognized I stress and get frustrated. Boo, anxiety and stress. It's just not me though, to go around boasting about myself lol. 

OMGLasersPOWPOW
by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm really shy when it comes to saying good things about myself IRL. But in my mind I'm knowing I am doing a good job (when I am).
I just got a raise and offered a leadership position at work after ac really good review, so luckily I don't have to "toot my own horn"
Mandallyn
by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 11:07 AM
If I work hard or do something that requires extra effort I'll let people know. For example I homeschool, I'm proud of that, so I will occasionally brag about my kids and what they learned that day.

If I take time to do something extra at work, I let my supervisor know I did it. I don't want anyone else to take credit for my hard work. On the same token I will also GIVE credit to others if they did something noteworthy.

I've met real narcissists, I also work with one... I can tell you right now they can be a strain on my patience.
deltathree
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 12:18 PM

We should be proud of ourselves/our accomplishments.

fudgybuddymom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 7:01 PM

That it's probably true. I hope ppl recognize me as a good mom,good co-worker & just a good person to be with. Sadly it doesn't seem to be the case. I do have one good friend & I can count on her for stuff but she doesn't tell me that I am a good person or friend. Anyone else well I am not sure. At work they do praise me & thank me but I am a temp there or so I recently found out they think of me as one anyway. I wanted to hopefully be full time but so far no such thing has come up. And I have no other friends really so who knows. My dd says I am a gr8 mom so I will accept that for the mom part. And well w/o other friends it just seems as if I am not worth hanging out with! Sorry I am just having a feel sorry for me day-thanks for listening!

Jenn8604
by Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 7:08 PM
4 moms liked this
All day everyday? No. When I do something I think is awesome? You best believe it. I made almost all the decorations for my sons Very Hungry Caterpillar birthday party. Let me tell you it was awesome. I voted myself world's awesomest mom over that one.
fern624
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 10:14 PM

It depends on the situation. I'm not going to stand back and let anyone esle take cerdit for my work...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN