Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

My mom wants me on less meds

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 2:45 PM
  • 9 Replies

My mom was just here and said she'd like to see me on as little medication as possible and working through things in therapy. I see her point, as I've just been struggling to get meds right and having to go off because of side effects. But I also don't know if she gets that bipolar depression is a chemical imbalance in my brain that may not be ok without meds. People without mental illness don't get

by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 3:09 PM

I don't think she really understands. You are going to need a certain amount of meds especially being bipolar. Therapy is a good suggestion. 

Tracys2
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 3:26 PM

It sounds like she really doesn't understand. You have been struggling for a long time. I think it would help you a lot to get stabilised on meds and THEN work through your issues, and THEN see what you can do about going off some meds. But with bipolar disorder, most people do need to remain on at least one medicine to stay stable.

lucy164
by Peggy on Jul. 18, 2014 at 3:46 PM

I'm  sure your mom means well but as everyone else has told you, you need meds for bipolar disorder.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Have you tried therapy? 

momwriter
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:49 PM
Yes I just started back with a new therapist 2 weeks ago. I like her a lot.

Quoting leahbeah143:

Have you tried therapy? 

Memere60
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:14 AM

You are right. She doesn't understand about your bipolar illness. Please don't let her talk you out of getting your medications balanced correctly. My daughter was suffering from post partum depression, and I am the one who begged her to go to my psychiatrist. She's so much better now. As mothers, we have a strong influence over our children (good or bad). I'm sure she loves you very much, but in this case, I think she is wrong. hugging

casah4
by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:34 AM

I see where she's coming from. I think we'd all like to be on as little medication as possible. Less chance of side effects, less pills to take, and just easier to manage. I don't know exactly what was said and how, but from what you posted, it doesn't sound like she wants you off of your medication, she just doesn't want you to be on tons and tons of meds. That's reasonable, I think.  As long as she understands that for some of us, one med is as little as possible, but for others it may be four or five. Everyone's different.

deltathree
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Oh wow - I get what she's saying, however, you NEED the meds.  She just doesn't get it.  Sorry - hugs.

MissMackiesgg
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Listen to your doc. Meds to balance the chemical imbalance are like meds for a diabetic.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)