Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Prozac

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
How did it work for you? I was on zoloft before but it didnt really seem to do any good. After not being medicated for over a year I finally went back when my husband pointed out how bad I had gotten. My anxiety has caused me to stay inside and away from the public. This has caused loss of playdates for my kids and I started gaining a lot of weight because of my isolation. Once the dr brought up questions about my weight gain I got super shaky and started balling and feeling like a failure all over again. Ok not much of a question I guess. I just hope i dont gain anymore weight from this.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tracys2
by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:16 PM

For me, it was really good at anti-anxiety. My doctor said it was weight-neutral, but I was sleeping several more hours a day (or sitting in the chair, zoned out), so I did gain weight. It's like it was TOO good at removing the anxiety, and I just didn't care about anything, IYSWIM. I'd think it would be good for most people. It did nothing for my depression, part of which was caused by lack of energy.

momwriter
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:42 PM

I'm starting Prozac tomorrow after not tolerating 2 other antidepressants we've tried recently. I have a severe lack of energy with my depression; it's my main problem and it sucks. Good luck to you! I don't think you're supposed to gain weight from it.

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 11:56 PM

I took it for a couple of years and it worked well. I don't remember any side effects from it.

AkashaGermaine
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:01 AM
It helped me soooooooooo much. I have mod/severe social anxiety and moderate depression. I recently was having difficulties with motivation and major fatigue. I am on the lowest dosage, 10 mg, and I feel so much better. I didn't even realize how bad I'd gotten until I began to feel better. I am more patient with my kids, dd7 and ds2, and have been yelling much less so I have fewer headaches. This is very important since dd is borderline ODD. And it has not made me gain weight, I've actually been more motivated to make diet and exercise changes.
lucy164
by Peggy on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Prozac worked great for me for 10 years before I had to try another one.  You are not a failure in any way.  You are just having difficulty with your meds as everyone does until they find the right one.hugging

katiebug840204
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:17 AM
I had an allergic reaction to Prozac. It gave me a horrible migraine until I came off it. Hope it works well for you!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:20 AM
Thanks. I just want to find something that works for me. My anxiety has ruined fun times for my kids and its not fair.

Quoting lucy164:

Prozac worked great for me for 10 years before I had to try another one.  You are not a failure in any way.  You are just having difficulty with your meds as everyone does until they find the right one.hugging

sirkokobean
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:43 AM

weight neutral is a good way to put it, it does not affect eating but if your like me, happy means not eating as much.  I went off prozac for about 6 wks and was crying at everything, went back on it and within days felt better.

trish2tew
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I took generic prozac(fluoxetine) for a little more than a year. It worked really well for me. It actually helped me loose a little weight, because it just cut my appetite in about 1/2 for the first 2 months or so. It was really hard for me, because I was still nursing DS.

momwriter
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Major fatigue is my main problem. I just started Prozac today. So it helped lift your fatigue?

Quoting AkashaGermaine: It helped me soooooooooo much. I have mod/severe social anxiety and moderate depression. I recently was having difficulties with motivation and major fatigue. I am on the lowest dosage, 10 mg, and I feel so much better. I didn't even realize how bad I'd gotten until I began to feel better. I am more patient with my kids, dd7 and ds2, and have been yelling much less so I have fewer headaches. This is very important since dd is borderline ODD. And it has not made me gain weight, I've actually been more motivated to make diet and exercise changes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN