Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

all new to me

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:47 AM
  • 9 Replies
Do you have depression that is so severe you need medication? Do you know what may have caused it? If you take meds do you think they help? How do you function if your not taking meds but you need them what do you do to get by these days?
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MissMackiesgg
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

welcomeWelcome to the group! Yes I do take meds for depression. mI would be buried in bed or in the grave if I didn't take them. They are an immense help.

casah4
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I have Bipolar disorder and my depression that comes with it is severe. I do take meds for it and they do help. Without medication, I go into a very quick, drastic downward spiral. I get suicidal so meds are not just an option for me, they're a necessity. 

Tracys2
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:02 AM

I have had depression that severe, on and off for 20-25 years. But that has a lot to do with my personality. It's unusual. I am highly-sensitive, possibly aspergers, and have a hard time relating to people and making friends, plus a bit anxious/neurotic by temperament. Combined, it'll lead to depression more often than not.

Personally, I've tried 5 meds for at least a year each, and not got much in the way of results, but I know that's quite unusual.

When not taking medication, I try a bit of everything. Try to eat healthy (this is not something I'm good at, becaues my family/friends won't join me, and that makes me feel more of an outsider and makes thing worse). Exercise has been shown to be as effective as anti-depressants in some people, if it's done regularly and properly. I think walking is a good one, and being outside in the sun helps also. I like running, because the hardness of the exercise has an effect on me. And the sun. I swim during the Summer, because it's all I can do with the kids, and otherwise I have them alone from 6am to 6pm, dinner & bedtime, nothing happens. Has to be regular.

Helping others is a big one for me. I didn't think it would be, because obviously I have the kids, and I'm an introvert and need alone-time, and I'm not good with people. It took me a while to find something to do, which is helping out with admin stuff at our elementary. Most of it is alone, and the rest is with always the same people, and very low-stress, because it's volunteer. Really, REALLY helps most of the time.

Therapy is also as effective as meds, much of the time. There were days when I had to go in and talk to our pastor for an hour (I was lucky we have one, but many churches will talk to you and find cheap/free/sliding-scale therapy for you), or even I'll drop by when I feel isolated and just talk for a minute to the church secretary (I help out at the church, too, so that makes it easy), and that connection helps. I've done the coffee shop and grocery store when I feel really bad. Getting out and seeing the same people is comforting to me. Isolation is bad. Why do you think Elsa was shooting all that ice? :-)

Some people use natural, herbal drugs that don't need a prescription, and that is OK with them. St Johns Wort is a good one, but talk to a pharmacist if you're taking something else, because it does interact with other drugs.

Journalling helped me, or writing poetry- I express myself through words and the pain would get out, somehow. Lots of people like to do art. The nice thing is, it helps clear you out a bit, and then you have this art of some sort that you've created, and the act of creation can help.

Posting here can help connect you, beause you really are NOT alone, and you are in a tough fight, and there are other tough fighters here. I like to visit them.

If you have people in your life who could support you, take up invitations sometimes, even if you don't want to. It does help to get out (unless they are downright mean, of course!).

Mine got better, after a couple of years. I don't know how long that will last, but it's much, MUCH better. Depression often improves on its own, if you can just ride it out.

Hugs!

lyrick24
by Group Admin on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:01 PM

I can't do without my meds. I would become suicidal without them. My rain actually hurts if I'm not on an antidepressant. I get so confused. Mine is just a chemical imbalance.

happynewyorker
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:31 PM

I get depressed, during certain times of various months.  November & december were my bad months. But, with my daughter being born in December, I had to learn to deal with the depression and move on from it.  It was hard to shake and some days, I'd get it and not wanting to do anything. But, I try my hardest to push myself to let it pass.  I have a 10 year old at home and for that reason, she makes me push myself to deal with the depression.  Sometimes it doesn't work. But many times it does.

I don't take any medication. 

Mommy2you08
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Hello!
Yes I take medication for my depression. My childhood was rough and it contributed to it. My meds change rapidly, so they only work for a short period of time. Usually if I'm not on my meds I end up in the hospital. The thing that helps me battle my depression is knowing I have a wonderful son.
lucy164
by Peggy on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:43 PM

I also had a pretty bad childhood which contributed to my depression and it also runs in my family.  I need my meds more than I can say.

Serenity7
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:05 AM

If a person needs meds. And they do not take it. They don't function very well

photo girl44_zpsd6ef0fbe.png
Mrseoc
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:08 AM

I'm supposed to be on meds, but i never liked the side effects and i prefer to have a clean body.

I meditate and exercise. Some days i have to stay home due to depression. I like to read books that give me a new perspective. Buddhism books are great for depression days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)