Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Struggling...

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:05 AM
  • 5 Replies

I've dealt with depression and social anxiety since I was about 12 due to various things and it was extremely bad while i was pregnant and working. Before i was a stay at home mom and i was working i use to have anxiety attacks that would make me physically ill, the only time i leave my house is if my DH is with me and he usually does most of the talking. Things have gotten a little better since my daughter was born but i still dont like to go outside and socialize and large crowds are a nightmare but i still try. I'm still trying to make friends, and im proud to say that i went to the county fair without to much of a problem but things are still hard and any kind of help ive tried to get ive been turned away. I hope i can find other moms who feel this way and we can support eachother.

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
lucy164
by Peggy on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:25 AM
1 mom liked this

It seems like you are describing pretty bad social anxiety.  I used to be very much like you.  My reasons were having a shy personalty, very low self esteem from verbally abusive mother and the feeling that I was being judged by people where ever I went.  There is not a single reason that I was able to let all this go but a lot of reasons.  I forced myself to go to a support group and it was great.  It helped give me more self confidence.  I had a great therapist who I stayed with until he retired.  Medication can help too.  I take 0.5 mgs of klonopin in the morning which helps a lot because my anxiety always comes in the morning and hugginggoes away as the day goes on.

That's great that you were able to go to the fair and that you are trying to make new friends.

lyrick24
by Group Admin on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:01 AM

I do have anxiety but I take something for it so that it is not debilitating. Once my dr took me off of it and I wasn't able to function so I had to change des. I'm glad things are going better for you. You might want to consider seeing a dr to get something for it. It isn't expensive to get the medicine.

GeekMom93
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:07 AM

Quoting lyrick24:

I do have anxiety but I take something for it so that it is not debilitating. Once my dr took me off of it and I wasn't able to function so I had to change des. I'm glad things are going better for you. You might want to consider seeing a dr to get something for it. It isn't expensive to get the medicine.

I've tried and i think meds would help but unfortunatly where i am ive tried and i dont have the kind of money to pay for the dr visit and i dont have insurance so im kind of stuck where i am and trying to deal with it on my own.

lyrick24
by Group Admin on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Quoting GeekMom93:

Quoting lyrick24:

I've tried and i think meds would help but unfortunatly where i am ive tried and i dont have the kind of money to pay for the dr visit and i dont have insurance so im kind of stuck where i am and trying to deal with it on my own.

call 211 and ask for mental health services in your area. You may be able to get in somewhere on a sliding scale basis. Sometimes it takes a little longer but that's better than nothing. WalMart has a list of antidepressants that sale for 4 dollars a month. Get them to put you on one of those. They will work with you.

MissMackiesgg
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:21 PM

This may sound silly but check with Job and Family srevices. They have a list of people and organizations that can help you. Some are on a sliding scale and you may qualify for no payment and they can help you with samples on the meds.

Quoting GeekMom93:

Quoting lyrick24:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)