Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tired of the hypocrisy!

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:52 PM
  • 5 Replies
I recognized that my family, in particular my parents and my sisters, were toxic a long time ago. While I've made changes and even moved far away from them, they still at times have a hold on me I find hard to let go of. It seems like my sisters are allowed to do things that if I do I am criticized for. Case in point. I visited my parents and sisters for three weeks this summer with my kids. At one point I admitted to occasionally leaving my children in the car for five minutes while I ran Into the gas station for a drink and was shot down by my dad and my older sister. Now to the present, my sister visited recently with her two young children. Another sister posted a picture of all the adults including my sister with the kids having cocktail hour in the driveway while they left her two year old unattended in the car bc he fell asleep. Apparently when my sister does this, it's funny. When I do it for less time I am villified. That's just one example but it's hard not to take it personally. Does anyone else deal with similar issues with family?
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
lucy164
by Peggy on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Oh yes I certainly have dealt with this same thing. If I spoke up to the mother, she would get furious.  If my sister did the same thing my mother would call her spunky.  I have no contact with either of them and I couldn't be happier about it.

lexismom90
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:50 PM
Yes I think this happens in most families at least the ones I know if. For me personally I have basically every decision I made criticized but my sister doesn't. Me just moving a few miles away is call for my parents to go up in arms questioning if we can afford it and how are we going to manage blah blah blah. My sister moves to a different state and nothin is said. She still has a mortgage here of $1200 a month but my parents said nothin about her and her husband being able to afford that, and her living expenses there....
lyrick24
by Group Admin on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:13 AM

I am the black sheep of the family

I had to break away from them years ago. 

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:25 AM

ugh, that's super frustrating!!

prdmama1154
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:42 AM

I haven't dealt with this from family members but I have at past jobs with a couple of co-workers.  I can only imagine how hurtful it can be from people that consider themselves family.  Try not to let it get to you.  You're doing just fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)