Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

bi-polar moms

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:17 PM
  • 15 Replies

i am a mother of a 2 year old and have another on the way i was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder at 15 years old and havnt been on medication in almost 4 years are there any other mothers out there who struggle with there children due to there bi-polar disorder sometimes i catch myself yelling at her and then quickly realize shes just being a kid and feel like crap i also see some of my anger rubbing off on her im really worried for her and looking for a doctor in the area i also just moved to a different state  

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM

yup, thats me, i have four kids and i'm 29 years old. i was just diagnosed 2 months ago because my husband was jokingly saying i was bipolar.. he looked up the symptoms then stopped joking and i went to a doctor and sure enough thats what it was:( i thought all that time i just couldn't handle the kids but it wasn't just them that i would get irritated with and yell at... i would realize yup they are just being kids, why am i so mad?!?

mmfw2012
by New Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 1:01 AM
Did u start any medication for it

Quoting Anonymous:

yup, thats me, i have four kids and i'm 29 years old. i was just diagnosed 2 months ago because my husband was jokingly saying i was bipolar.. he looked up the symptoms then stopped joking and i went to a doctor and sure enough thats what it was:( i thought all that time i just couldn't handle the kids but it wasn't just them that i would get irritated with and yell at... i would realize yup they are just being kids, why am i so mad?!?

dizzy77702
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 1:21 AM
I'm bipolar and have two kids. I could have written what you wrote. I try not to get angry and yell but sometimes I can't help myself. I apologize and explain that I'm just not feeling well but I wonder about the kind of damage I am doing to my children all the time. I can defiantly relate. My kids are older, 8 and 13 but it's still tough.
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 2:53 AM

its good that you recognize there is a problem and are seeking help for it. I don't have any small kids now but I am bipolar. Luckily my meds were good for me when my kids were little.

lexismom90
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:12 AM
I am bipolar but I was diagnose just after my dd was born (she is 2.5) I do struggle with it at times and I hate getting angry or snapping at her just because of my bipolar. I also struggle a lot with her and my son being in my lap a lot because I hate prolonged touching from anyone even Dh. And I have had to ask them to go play for a while so I can have a break. I also have started implementing mommy time outs, so if we are having a totally insane day and they have been extra misbehaved I will put myself in "time out" for 10-15 minutes so hen I get back I am calm and able to deal with their screaming and
Fighting better.
lucy164
by Peggy on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:37 AM

welcome to cafemom

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 28, 2014 at 2:44 PM
I just started lamictal

Quoting mmfw2012: Did u start any medication for it

Quoting Anonymous:

captainjack
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Go to the dr for meds.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:11 PM
Welcome to the group! Getting yourself some help is the best thing you can do!
mommys2cupcakes
by New Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:29 AM
I was also diagnosed when I was 15.. It was hard for me.. When I got pregnant with my first child I had issues do to not being on meds.. I thought for a long time that I could control it but I was wrong... For over a year my husband had suffered my wrath.. Now that I'm on meds my kids don't have to and no longer my husband.. If I missed a day of taking a pill I can feel the change in me and I don't like who that person is.. I'm happy you're going to see a Dr about this..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)