Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Depression keeping me from exercising

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:20 AM
  • 17 Replies

I was working out for a while but I'm just too tired to get myself to do it anymore. Maybe once the Prozac kicks in (I started it 6 days ago) I'll have the energy to push myself again. Does anyone else find it hard to consistently exercise because of low energy or mood?

by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucy164
by Peggy on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's hard to do anything if you are depressed.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:51 AM

every day! I walk every afternoon with a coworker, and every time I'm soooo tired and I just want to tell her that I don't want to go. But I also remind myself that it boosts me up a little bit every time I do walk.

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:15 AM

I never exercise

I just don't have the motivation. I think it is good that you do sometimes.

momwriter
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Well, I just walked for 40 min with my friend. It was hard but I did it. I just forced myself.

Quoting lyrick24:

I never exercise

prdmama1154
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:37 AM

I think that's a good start.  It's not too strenuous and having some time with a friend can be good for the soul.  Keep it up :)

Quoting momwriter:

Well, I just walked for 40 min with my friend. It was hard but I did it. I just forced myself.

Quoting lyrick24:

I never exercise

Tracys2
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Yes. It was hard at times, but I could do it if I used the time to read, I could at least sit on a recumbant bike and do something, and occasionally work up to getting more done, but either way it was something and did help my mood. I went to the Y, so they'd watch the kids while I did that.

Sadly, now the kids are fighting that since they get bored at the Y, even an hour 3 times a week is too much. I can't leave them so the only way I can exercise is (1) easy walk, which doesn't really help or (2) swim or (3) exercise at 9pm when they are in bed (husband leaves by 6am so before work is not feasible). And it's bad. I can tell you, I'm a different person when I'm fit and exercise daily, or at elast 6 days a week, from when I don't. :-/ If I hadn't seen it over the last 8 years on and off, I wouldn't believe the difference, and I hate who I am when I haven't exercised enough to really want to do it (that and not wanting to buy even bigger clothes)

3kidz123
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 5:51 PM

I workout 6 days a week and if I don't I get more deppressed, because of that I just do it anyways knowing I'll feel worse if I don't.

la_bella_vita
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:15 PM

I have pushed myself through exercising and it's made me feel a lot better about myself. I have found turning on music helps me get pumped and happy for it. Now, it's second nature.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:20 PM
I find it hard too. I have been trying really super hard though to stick to my exercise routine because I know if I don't, I won't get to where I want to be.

its been about 10 days for me and I'm super proud I've stuck with it. I exercise at night when kids are in bed. If I feel tired or just have no motivation I look at an affirmation I wrote for myself. It says
"don't give up beautiful!"

just set a time and do it even if you don't want to. Even if its just for 10 mins at least its something.
chamamahaha
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:29 PM
I have a hard time just waking up, I notice once I start tho I can uplift my self n continue, also find something elwe, maybe u dont like ur workout routine,
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)