Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone else feel this way?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:57 PM
  • 27 Replies
Not sure why but for the longest time I've felt something was missing from my life. I don't know why I always have this emptiness, this void that can never be filled. I have a great husband and two kids, a house, animals, more than most people have yet I still feel empty. I've been in therapy forever but nothing seems to help. I'm not even really sure what I'm looking for or what would make me feel like my life had purpose. Not even sure if going back to work is the answer. Just wondering if anyone else felt like this.
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leahbeah143
by Leah on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:02 PM

all the time!

newwifenmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:19 PM
Are you happy in your faith/spiritual beliefs or lack thereof? Some people feel like this when they are unfulfilled in that area.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:20 PM

No offense and I'm just thinking out loud here and I'm not meaning to hijack your thread or anything and this isn't directed to you. at all so please don't hate me.

I'm thinking that many people "think" way too much.  Some people are always trying to think and analyze why someone did this or that...if what they did was right or wrong, they focus on things that happened in the past instead of what they're going to do in the future,...they may constantly be looking for "something", thinking about how this or that isn't fair or some injustice that was done to them. 

I know when things from the past start creeping into my mind, I try and distract myself and just kind of change the subject in my head.  Like right now, I could seriously think about something I once said to someone when I was in highschool (Seriously 30 years ago)  that was mean and really feel bad about myself, but like I said, I'll "change the subject" in my head and not think about it.  I don't pretend to know a lot about mental health problems, but I have a friend who is Borderline and I wonder if it's basically impossible at times for her to "change the subject" in her mind?  She becomes so obsessed with one minut thing which is SO pointless, repetive and destructive.  I've told her what I do when I start "over thinking" and I honestly don't think she can change the subject. I wish I could do more to help her!

Anyway OP, no, I don't really feel that way, but I try hard to really, REALLY appreciate everything I have because I feel so very fortunate for my life, family, etc., and live in the moment rather than constantly be searching for something or more.  I used to do that some when I was younger in my 20's, but now that I'm in my late 40's I'm satisfied that this is what my life is and I try to enjoy every minute.  Like right now, I am so lucky to not have to haul my ass to work because my husband earns a really good living so I'm able to go to the store, buy whatever food I want, I went and got my hair cut this morning, and now my ass is plunked here at the counter, playing on CM and looking at recipes to make for dinner.  It may not sound all that great to some, but to me, I'm so happy to be able to do this.  Life is good right now and I hope to keep it this way forever.

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread.  Hugs to you.  I always like your posts.  :)

lucy164
by Peggy on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Maybe God is missing in your life.

lexismom90
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:26 PM
Sometimes yes. But my life is all over the place. I try to just take more time with my kids r with a hong I enjoy. Last time I felt like that really bad I bought myself a new book and started reading again just for the hell of it. And I started taking more one for myself and things I enjoy doing.
dizzy77702
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:40 PM
Thanks ladies. I do try not to focus on the past and think about the future. I'm in school now and hope to be working soon. Sometimes it's hard for me to look ahead and think positively. It's hard when you've always been the kind of person who always thinks the glass is half empty instead of half full. I also just found out that I have borderline as well bipolar disorder so part of it is me trying to deal with that.
Del672
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Like missing a twin?  I know someone who felt like this for years, then found out at 18 that her twin was stillborn. You describe it like she did.

bambismom
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:56 PM

dizzy, have you tried volunteering?  Do you like kids?  Animals?  Elderly people?  I take care of babies (going tonight!) at a home for young pregnant women their babies.  It is very rewarding, and I LOVE cuddling the babies!  I volunteered for 15 years at the elementary school where my kids went, helping with reading and math, but over the years I was a playground supervisor, lunch room helper and other things.  I now work at the school (kidstop) so I get to see kids everyday, and I LOVE that!!!   They needed somebody for this position, and it is paid, so that's a bonus, but if I wouldn't have taken the job I would still be volunteering there.  There is something about volunteering, about giving of yourself to others who need it.  It just makes you feel good.  Have you tried it? 

MistyMoo
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:01 PM
I've felt like that for a very long time. Even as a child.
dizzy77702
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:20 PM
I've been volunteering with the humane society for about two years now. I enjoy it but still feel like something is missing. It's hard to explain.

Quoting bambismom:

dizzy, have you tried volunteering?  Do you like kids?  Animals?  Elderly people?  I take care of babies (going tonight!) at a home for young pregnant women their babies.  It is very rewarding, and I LOVE cuddling the babies!  I volunteered for 15 years at the elementary school where my kids went, helping with reading and math, but over the years I was a playground supervisor, lunch room helper and other things.  I now work at the school (kidstop) so I get to see kids everyday, and I LOVE that!!!   They needed somebody for this position, and it is paid, so that's a bonus, but if I wouldn't have taken the job I would still be volunteering there.  There is something about volunteering, about giving of yourself to others who need it.  It just makes you feel good.  Have you tried it? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)