Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone benefitted from a 2nd opinion?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:58 PM
  • 17 Replies

I'm thinking of getting a 2nd opinion from another reputable doctor. If I went to the hospital I'd have a new dr, so this is a way of getting another take on my situation. Has anyone done this? Did it help? 

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucy164
by Peggy on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Yes.  Once a psychiatrist told me that I was schizophrenic and my next doctor told me that I was absolutely not.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:59 PM
I don't think it would hurt to get another opinion
TheDrsRose
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:04 PM

I just got one today,come to find out I'm Bipolar,not depressed. So yes,now I know what direction to take and how to really get help. I suggest always getting one if you even think for a second you need one.

CafeMom Tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 31, 2014 at 1:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Nothing wrong with getting s second opinion. I would look through the doctors education, age, years of experience, etc and be picky. For a therapist though....I would find one and stick with them if you like them. The more they get to know you...The more they can help you.
HIJKLM
by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 1:45 AM
1 mom liked this
They call it practice for a reason. Once one doctor makes a decision about your diagnosis they tend to disregard other options.

I was first diagnosed with anxiety and depression. I got a second opinion and was also diagnosed with OCD which is totally different than I though. It's not being a neat freak. It's obsessively doing things or thinking things over and over. Knowing this has helped me recognize triggers for my anxiety.

Man, I've never discussed this without anon and to be honest I'm feeling a bit anxious about it 😬
Tracys2
by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 4:26 PM

I love what HIJKLM said- it's true. Doctors really struggle to change their initial opinions.

2nd opinions are great!

I can't really say anything, because all doctors have currently allowed me to diagnose myself. It goes like this:

Me: "I think I'm depressed"

Them (reading the DSM): "Have you lost interest in things you once enjoyed?"

Me: <Just say "yes" to a few things>

Them: "What drugs shall we give you?"

So, my experience is kind of limited :-)

ambergem
by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 4:27 PM
My counselor suggested I go to brand name only of my med. It helped greatly.
Aunt_Jenny
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:31 AM

I can't hurt. I have been to countless therapist, they have switch between bipolar with major depression and major depression with anxiety disorder. The more I read about bipolar and anxiety disorder; I think I have both.

I would get the second opinion.

photo peach_zps5247f55a.jpg

bambismom
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Don't feel anxious, it's all good here! 

Quoting HIJKLM: They call it practice for a reason. Once one doctor makes a decision about your diagnosis they tend to disregard other options. I was first diagnosed with anxiety and depression. I got a second opinion and was also diagnosed with OCD which is totally different than I though. It's not being a neat freak. It's obsessively doing things or thinking things over and over. Knowing this has helped me recognize triggers for my anxiety. Man, I've never discussed this without anon and to be honest I'm feeling a bit anxious about it 😬

bambismom
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 9:42 AM

A second opinion on anything can never hurt.  If they agree then you know it's probably right.  If not, then, I don't know, get a third opinion?  Or just go with what you feel in your gut to be right. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)