Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Did you have a great, horrible or indifferent childhood?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:03 PM
  • 73 Replies

At the time when I look back at it I realize that my parents really never learned love. My mom was married the first time when her mom was dying and had a baby at the unripe age of 14, eventually got divorced and married my dad. They were not happy huggable or emotional about their kids. They weren't bad, everyone I knew had the same kind of life. We lived in a 4 room house-(with 7 kids) with no water and no bathroom-believe me when I say we stayed all constipated in the winter. They both drank heavy but we were the kids sitting out in car with everones elses kids. No body did anything about it back then. We had a cistern that we pumped out for water and ran like hell to get to the woods before we peed on ourselves. They kept us fed, clothing and a roof over the heads. My dad was a man who worked on a rich folks farm We thought we were in heaven when we got water and electric. Like I said they never told us they loved us but we never went hungry and when shoes had worn threw the sole then dad would have us stand on cardboard boxes and traced our feet then cut them out and put them into the shoes. We all went barefoot in the summer and canned every known fruit and veggies we could find. we got punished when we were bad. Mom even canned our chicken for meat come wintertime. we pretty much lived on eggs and chicken with milk and cornbread.

We never had tv so kept ourselves happy by swimming, playing tag, hide n seek, etc. The  river went threw the middle of the farm I kind of think that helped all of us not to complain much about anything. The punishment was being whipped by a very bendable switch til the blood would run down our legs then it stopped. But everyone we knew was the same way so we never thought much about it but you never ever said you were sick because would kill a skunk and boil it down to a gluey mess that got rubbed on our chest and then fed spoonfuls of skunk grease when we had a cold-shudder-that part stunk-literally. How about your childhood?

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lauryn88
by New Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a great childhood conservative but great ... Strick parents but I am still close with them...I feel like my childhood was magical compared to things going on with me now and I long for those days ...
diaperstodating
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a great childhood.
graybealgirl
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I spent a lot of my childhood in the hospital. I had a disability that required a lot of surgery and physical therapy. I remember being super jealous of my brother and sister riding their bikes. I had no balance for one. When we were in trouble my mom would hit us with sandals and wooden spoons or belts. I was 26 in fact my birthday. I found out my mom caused my disability. She had 3 kids already. First died as as n infant, long story. Anyway do she suspected she was pregnant. So in hope that she'd miscarry me she starved herself. She was 4 months along when she told my dad she was pregnant. So my birthday present was her telling me she wished I would die. Either from surgery or someone would kill me. But since I lived she was hopping someone would kill me. I still cry thinking about it. She even said she took a life insurance policy out on me so she can party on my death benefits
JIJsMom
by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this
My "childhood" (if you want to call it that) was hell.
sondra101
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Idk what to say.... I now at 46 remember the good... Nature, books, the beach... And I tell myself it could have been worse...
luvmia
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Hugs. Wow. My heart goes out to you. I hope God takes your pain away. I know what it is like to have a toxic mother. Smh. I just hope that God has a place in heaven for women like us. Sigh.

Quoting graybealgirl: I spent a lot of my childhood in the hospital. I had a disability that required a lot of surgery and physical therapy. I remember being super jealous of my brother and sister riding their bikes. I had no balance for one. When we were in trouble my mom would hit us with sandals and wooden spoons or belts. I was 26 in fact my birthday. I found out my mom caused my disability. She had 3 kids already. First died as as n infant, long story. Anyway do she suspected she was pregnant. So in hope that she'd miscarry me she starved herself. She was 4 months along when she told my dad she was pregnant. So my birthday present was her telling me she wished I would die. Either from surgery or someone would kill me. But since I lived she was hopping someone would kill me. I still cry thinking about it. She even said she took a life insurance policy out on me so she can party on my death benefits
steffielou_who
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Horrible.. My step dad who my mom got with when I was two, was very abusive.. Physically, emotionally, you name it! My dad pulled guns out on the regular and said he was going to kill us all. We were very poor, on foodstamps and all kinds of pa! My mom got cheated on and beat daily!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katiebug840204
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this
My childhood was good because of my grandparents. If it weren't for them though, I would have had a very sad and Boring childhood. My parents ONLY provided the food that went in my stomach and the shelter over my head. My grandparents provided EVERYTHING else including snacks to eat because my mom refused to buy them, our clothes and shoes and bedroom furniture and toys and anything else I ever wanted or needed. I'm very very thankful for my grandparents.
lexismom90
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Mine was more indifferent. It wasn't a total hell but is wasn't fantastic either. I never went without always had plenty to eat and never wanted for anything. But I never got much emotionally from my parents and never knew what would set my mom off next. I remember twice as a kid that she threatened to kill herself. Once when I was about 7/8 (maybe older) she was mad at dad and threatened to take a whole bottle of pills. Another time was when I was a teen she threatened to jump from the car. One of the times I moved out was because I was called a "fuckig bitch that needed a fucking life and fucking worthless." Why? Because I didn't bring home a soda. Another time I was almost kicked out because my fiancé finally stood up for me and him and told her to stop calling us names under her breath.
graybealgirl
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:19 PM
Thanks. I hope you start to heal soon

Quoting luvmia: Hugs. Wow. My heart goes out to you. I hope God takes your pain away. I know what it is like to have a toxic mother. Smh. I just hope that God has a place in heaven for women like us. Sigh.

Quoting graybealgirl: I spent a lot of my childhood in the hospital. I had a disability that required a lot of surgery and physical therapy. I remember being super jealous of my brother and sister riding their bikes. I had no balance for one. When we were in trouble my mom would hit us with sandals and wooden spoons or belts. I was 26 in fact my birthday. I found out my mom caused my disability. She had 3 kids already. First died as as n infant, long story. Anyway do she suspected she was pregnant. So in hope that she'd miscarry me she starved herself. She was 4 months along when she told my dad she was pregnant. So my birthday present was her telling me she wished I would die. Either from surgery or someone would kill me. But since I lived she was hopping someone would kill me. I still cry thinking about it. She even said she took a life insurance policy out on me so she can party on my death benefits
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)