Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

getting worse everyday

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:10 PM
  • 10 Replies
I feel like the world's worst mom right now. I just screamed at my 4 year old son because he pooped in his underwear and didn't tell me. My husband has been on the road traveling for work and I've been left to be mom/dad/home caretaker and work full time. I know there are women who deal with those roles for far longer than I do, but I feel like my anxiety and depression have just gone into overdrive the last few days. I just found out not too long ago that women with PCOS can suffer like this. While I feel good that it's not just me, I feel like an awful human being for taking it out on my lil guy.

Just needed to vent and get it out.

Thanks
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leahbeah143
by Leah on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:41 PM
Hugs!
happyolechimp
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:25 PM
try a little nerve tonic..100% natural...hylands corp.
Walmart has it & it's a small blue bottle on bottom of sleep aisle...but...it don't make you sleepy...it stops anxiety hun... ;-)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:32 PM
Try to be calm when he has accidents pottying. If your calm he will feel better about potty training. If your loud,or yell he will want to keep wearing diapers. I know patience are thin at times. Try to remember for next go round to remain calm,and explain to him why we need to use potty.I hope this was helpful!
lucy164
by Peggy on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:07 PM

You are not an awful human being.  You had a hard day and snapped at your child and who has never done that?  We all have I'll bet.  Give yourself a break.

MissMackiesgg
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:40 PM

{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}

zboys
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Tell him you're sorry for yelling at him and give him a big hug and reassure him that he can do better next time.

lyrick24
by Group Admin on Aug. 11, 2014 at 4:08 AM

you are not an awful mom. you are carrying a lot on your plate and you just snapped a little. i agree that you should just apologize and let him know he can do better and you are proud of  him.

bambismom
by Gold Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Yelling at your kid once doesn't make you a bad mom.  You are just a tired mom.  Can anybody take care of him for a few hours so you can have some "me" time?  When my kids were little I had a friend, we took turns letting our kids have a "play date" so the other mom could have some time to themselves.  We either went shopping or just caught up on work around home.   Yes, like the others have said, tell him you are sorry, and you know he had an accident, and try to let him know you have faith in him that he can use the potty.  I had three boys, believe me I KNOW how hard they are to potty train!!!  I know they were still having accidents when they were four.  hugs

lancet98
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:03 AM

What's PCOS?

To a point, losing one's temper and scholding or shouting, well, it happens sometimes, and it's not the end of the world.   Everyone gets tired and out of sorts once in a while.  Especially when one's spouse is gone and one is all alone with an energetic, and perhaps not 100% potty trained, 4 year old.

But if it's happening all the time, if it is coupled with physical abuse, if the child is showing negative effects, the individual has GOT to seek out help and get control of that. 

And again, it's not about 'oh what a terrible mom', it's about, 'mom needs to get some help and better solutions to stress'.

Also, don't fall into that 'oh no, it's getting worse every day'.   Bring it DOWN a notch.   You had a bad day, well really, a bad moment.   Don't blow it all up to something huge.   It was once.   You are using it as a wake up call.

What solutions?   Well, if you're not taking medication, are you getting counseling?   Is it proving to be enough for you?   Perhaps you need more help than that.    Medication, a support group, help from a relative, or just a friend to talk to in person(computer screens can't hug).

If you're taking medication for depression or anxiety, you may need to talk to your doctor about whether you're getting an optimal amount of help from these medications, and if it could be better.

But even the most ill person in the universe, they don't just sit back and let the meds do it all, because medications don't work that way.   The individual still has to work hard, find new ways of living that are more positive.

But blame?   Scolding?   I won't go there.   I've had it happen to me, so I realize that it can happen to anyone.

CaptNumo9
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 3:41 PM

We have ALL done that. Yes it feels bad, but remember mama, kids are resilient! I have always used those moments to teach my boys forgiveness. By asking them to forgive me, they learn what that is like. Now they are very willing to ask me to forgive them because they know it goes both ways and we all make mistakes. Give him a big hug, love him according to his "Love Language" and you will be surprised how even mistakes can bring us closer. Hugs mama.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)